Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Top Ten Childhood Favorites

Jamie and Julia at The Broke and the Bookish posted their (combined) Top Ten Childhood Favorites. Here are ten of my favorite books for young folks that I've found as an adult.
  1. Miss Rumphius ~ by Barbara Cooney, 1982, children's, 10/10
  2. The Paper Bag Princess ~ by Robert N. Munsch, 1980, children's, 9/10
  3. Where the Mountain Meets the Moon ~ by Grace Lin, 2009, children's, 9/10
  4. Blueberry Girl ~ by Neil Gaiman, 2009, children's, 10/10
  5. Bridge to Terabithia ~ by Katherine Paterson, 1977, children's, 9/10
  6. The Lorax ~ by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Suess Geisel), 1971, children's, 10/10
  7. On My Honor ~ by Marion Dane Bauer, 1986, YA fiction, 10/10
  8. A Wrinkle in Time ~ by Madeleine L'Engle, 1962, YA fiction, 10/10
  9. The View from Saturday ~ by E. L. Konigsburg, 1996, YA fiction, 9/10
  10. The Breadwinner ~ by Deborah Ellis, 2001, YA fiction (Afghanistan), 10/10
These are from my own childhood:
  1. Little Black Sambo ~ by Helen Bannerman, 1899, children's, 10/10
  2. Uncle Wiggily and His Friends ~ by Howard R. Garis, 1939, children's, 8/10
  3. Aesop's Fables ~ by Aesop, 10/10.  (According to the Greek historian Herodotus, the fables were written by a slave named Aesop, who lived in Ancient Greece during the 5th century BCE.  That means it was around even back in my childhood, in the 1940s.  This cover, of course, is much newer.)
Added 12-8-11
Which book on my Top Ten list would I have to take out to put in this one I just remembered?

Out of My Mind ~ by Sharon M. Draper, 2010, YA fiction, 9/10

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Great list! I remember Blueberries, and the Lorax fondly. I did my list from books I read as a child, but one of my all-time favorites from when my daughter was small is the Paper Bag Princess!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen, if you click on the title link of The Paper Bag Princess, you'll find that I got the recommendation from you!

"The Paper Bag Princess by Robert N. Munsch (1980) is another princess book, recommended by Helen of Helen's Book Blog when I wrote about Princess Smartypants on Sunday."

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2010/11/paper-bag-princess-by-robert-n-munsch.html

Some of us take your recommendations seriously, very seriously!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Oh, no! I've just remembered one that should definitely be on my list of ten. So which would I remove to leave it at exactly ten? I'm not sure, but here's one that ought to be there, with its link (I've added it as a note at the bottom of the post):

Out of My Mind ~ by Sharon M. Draper, 2010, YA fiction, 9/10