Thursday, March 2, 2023

Thursday Thoughts

My favorite quote from Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life by Amy Krouse Rosenthal:  "A friend sat next to a nun on a plane.  He asked her what she missed most.  "Wearing blue jeans," she replied (p. 149).

What I'm reading meow
~ I mean, now = 
The Fast and the Furriest ~ by Andy Behrens, 2010, YA fiction, 256 pages.  Click on the title to read what I wrote about it before.
What I just finished reading

The Photographer's Son: Based on a True Story of a Jewish Holocaust Survivor
~ by Maya C. Klinger, 2022, historical fiction (Yugoslavia), 119 pages.
  Click on the title to read what I wrote about it last week.  This story about a family of photographers during the Holocaust will count for my 2023 Historical Fiction Challenge.  It's a funny feeling to realize that, since I was alive in the United States during that time, I am "historical" myself!  I was a little child along with the son of the photographer, the one who is pictured on the book's cover.
My latest foodie idea was to put blackberries on my ham salad sandwich.  It tasted great.  When Clawdia came sniffing and wanting some, I shared only a bit of the ham salad.  Cats aren't interested in berries of any kind, you know.

Word of the Day #1 = food·ie /ˈfo͞odē / noun, informal = a person with a particular interest in food; a gourmet.  Example:  "He is a successful restaurateur and an avid foodie."  (Umm, maybe I should have said simply, "My latest food idea."  I am NOT a gourmet.)

Word of the Day #2 = gour·met /ˈɡo͝orˌmā,ˈɡôrˌmā / noun = a connoisseur of good food; a person with a discerning palate.  Example:  "American Dictionary says a person who knows a lot about food and cooking — and who enjoys eating good food — is a gourmet."

New number ~ I just learned that 988 is the new number for the suicide hotline, which you can call or text.  I saw an article about it the Huffington Post (HERE) which says that "you can also call 988 if you’re not having a mental health emergency.  If you’re struggling with your mental health but aren’t actively considering suicide or self-harm, you can still call the hotline and talk with a counselor about what you’re experiencing.  The same applies to people who are looking for help for their loved ones."  I think that's helpful, so I'm sharing it in case you know someone who needs this information.

You may be a bookaholic, if the first thing you look for in a new home is built-in bookshelves.  On the other hand, renters like me have bookshelves that can be moved around to fit into whatever we happen to rent.

I'll show you several versions of my bookshelves in different apartments.

Here's an indication that I needed more bookcases in that apartment (or at least more room to set up more bookcases).  This is the worst one for today.

My books and shelves had to be fitted into different spaces as I moved from St. Elmo to Hixson to St. Louis.

This shows a pair of the dozen stackable bookshelves in my current apartment.

No comments: