Thursday, March 30, 2023

Collecting my thoughts for Thursday

What are the odds of seeing these two license plates beside each other?  Can't read it?  The one on the left says, "PEEKABOO" and the one of the right says, "I SEE U."  Photo credit to Buzzfeed.

Once upon a time, I wrote:  "I buy books I know I want to keep, sometimes after reading the library copy. . . . Books I keep are usually related to my teaching . . . I don't collect fiction, so that is usually from the library."  The photo shows my nearest library when I blogged that nine years ago.

Things are different now that I'm retired.  I prefer getting books from the library.  If one I want is not available there, I may buy the book if it doesn't cost too much.  Do you like borrowing books from the library . . . or collecting books to keep . . . or reading on your device . . . or what?

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I'll confess to purchasing far too many books and not getting enough from my local library. However, in my defense, I donate the books I buy to local schools or the free little library in my neighborhood.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

You don't need "defense" for whatever reason you buy books, Helen! I do the same thing you do. I donate books to the Crown Center library (where I live), even books that wouldn't interest other residents. My reason? Those of us who volunteer to shelve books also take extra books to trade at the nearby used bookstore. You know, the books that are duplicates or not likely to be read, along with books that have been on our shelves long enough. That let's us purchase other books (usually newer novels) that would interest our neighbors.