Wednesday, March 15, 2023

A word and a coincidence

Trying to be funny, I asked my friend Risé about her "druthers" the other day.  I had even looked up the word before I called her, to be sure I was using it correctly.

===================================================================

druth·ers (informal, North American), noun = a person's preference in a matter.  Example:  "If I had my druthers, I would prefer to be a writer."

Origin of the phrase = When a person says, "I'd rather," it sounds like the word "druther."  Therefore, it's a shortened way of saying "I would rather."

===================================================================

Hours later, when I sat down to read, I decided to go back to a trio of books I'd barely gotten into months ago:  The Herland Trilogy on my Kindle.  I knew I'd need to start over.  I searched my Kindle, found the trilogy, and opened it to where I'd stopped reading.  That's when I was startled to see these words on the very top line of the last page I had gotten to:
". . . can't always have your 'druthers' . . ." (p. 22).
I stopped reading after those five words, just to jot all this stuff down.  What are the odds?  I haven't used "druthers" in ages, probably not in years.  And there it was, in the book I picked up to read.  A book I'd been reading long ago, not even recently.