Friday, January 7, 2022

Beginning ~ before dawn

Beginning

It was the beginning of a perfect late spring day in North Bank, Virginia, despite the fact that the sun hadn't yet come up.  The crisp air coming off the Potomac invigorated Margot Durand as she picked up her pace down the street on the way to her bakery, The Parisian Pâtisserie.

Croissants and Corruption ~ by Danielle Collins, 2017, cozy mystery (Virginia), 164 pages

Margot Durand runs a French Bakery in the charming town of North Bank, Virginia. When her troublesome niece comes for a summer visit, she knows she is going to have her hands full. After an unexpected murder, the girl is labeled as the prime suspect and Margot is forced to fight for her niece’s freedom. Can she solve the mystery and clear her niece before the killer gets away…or strikes again?

The REAL beginning is on page 4, just as Margot Durand unlocks the door and the phone rings.  It's her sister calling, wanting to send her daughter to work for Margot for the summer.  She hopes that will "turn her life around" (p. 6).  Now we can see what's going on.  Now the plot is all set up, and I'm about to read my first book for the Cruisin' thru the Cozies Reading Challenge.

6 comments:

Harvee said...

Cozies aren't my thing these days, but I've been having lots of croissants this year. The title and cover are eye catching.

Literary Feline said...

I enjoy a good cozy mystery. The is a new one to me and so I will have to check it out. I love that descriptive opening.

Elza Reads said...

Some beautiful writing in that opening paragraph. I like the synopsis of this one!

Happy reading and enjoy your weekend.

Elza Reads

Juli Rahel said...

I enjoyed the opening, but that title is honestly what hooked me, I had a good laugh with it! I hope you enjoy it and continue to cruise through your cozies this year! I hope you have a lovely weekend :) Juli @ A Universe in Words

Cindy said...

I love titles like this! I hope you enjoy it, Bonnie. Have a great weekend! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/01/first-line-friday-33-fresh-scars.html

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

This made me hungry to a croissant. Ha! Happy Reading.