Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Unprecedented life adjustments

CARING and SHARING

Last night, someone posted on our Nextdoor neighborhood listserv.*
"We have a sewing machine in our house, but alas no one who knows how to sew.  If anyone could put the sewing machine to good use making masks, etc. we're willing to give it to the first taker."
This morning, someone replied.  Here's the online "conversation," which has garnered several "LOVE" reactions.
"I would love to have this if it still available.  I am part of a group of Facebook making masks for medical professionals and essential workers.  Let me know if it still available and I will pick it up today!"

"It is still available.  I'll message you on this."
It's fantastic that people are so committed to helping each other get through this time of fear and anxiety, offering help and being willing to do for others.  Sunday was Golden Rule Day, and I think people all over the world are living that Golden Rule, as they "do unto others as you would have them do unto you."  It's happening, and it gives me a good feeling to see us caring and sharing.

...and MEMORIES

About that Singer sewing machine illustration I found.  I started sewing on a vintage machine like that.  I had already learned how to stitch by hand and how to embroider using a wooden spring hoop to hold the cloth taut.  See the flat treadle at the bottom?  We had to place our feet there to pump it back and forth to make the needle go up and down.  Years later, when I got a portable electric sewing machine, I was able to take out the old and put the new one in that cavity, where the machine could fold down for storage and up for use.  Since it was operated by an electric foot pad, I no longer had to pump as before.  The treadle was still in place, though unused.

Unlike the manual machine, the electric one could stitch backwards and do zigzags as I guided the material under the foot.  It made buttonholes that looked even and professional.  I eventually gave that one to my daughter.  Maybe I should get another, though I no longer have the old wooden thing with drawers for spools of thread and scissors.  I could put it on top of my desk or dining table.  Or maybe not.  I really don't have room for anything else in this apartment.

WORD of the DAY
* LIST·SERV /ˈlis(t)sərv/ an application that distributes messages to subscribers on an electronic mailing list; an electronic mailing list; a method of communicating with a group of people via email.  You send one email message to the “reflector” email address, and the software sends the email to all of the group's subscribers.
CLAWDIA

One day when I was shopping, I bought a can of Friskies Mariner's Catch, thinking maybe Clawdia would try it and like it someday, even though she has rejected it in the past.  When I opened it yesterday, thinking to give her something different, she jumped on it and started eating before I could put all of it in the dish for her.  She LOVES it, at least for now, so I guess it's going on the grocery list.

When we came home today after walking in the grass using the hated leash, I got a phone call from Tiny's daughter Lauree.  She wanted instructions on how to leave care packages for Sheila and me, since the Crown Center discourages visitors during our state's stay-at-home orders.  I told Lauree about the table  near the link desk where prescriptions and packages are being left, now that the office staff are working from home.  When I went down later to get it, Clawdia also had a couple of surprises.  Not only a can of fishy food, but treats!  Thanks, Lauree and Tiny, from Clawdia and from me.  I wish I could let Clawdia know the treats came from her dearly beloved Tiny.  Lauree is so thoughtful; when she called, she also asked if I needed toilet paper or anything at all, saying I should call her if I ever do.

FULL MOON

Here's the full moon rising majestically over my neighborhood this evening.  Good night to all, and to all a good night.

No comments: