Friday, April 17, 2020

Beginning ~ by remembering with pride and pleasure

"If anyone had told me what wonderful changes were to take place here in ten years, I wouldn't have believed it," said Mrs. Jo to Mrs. Meg, as they sat on the piazza at Plumfield one summer day, looking about them with faces full of pride and pleasure."
Jo's Boys, and How They Turned Out ~ by Louisa May Alcott, 1886, fiction
Alcott returns to the familiar precincts of Plumfield.  Ten years later, Jo's pupils have started to make their way in the world, and they find themselves tested:  Josie longs to be an actress; Emil, now a sailor, is shipwrecked; Dan, out West, lands in prison; Nat, studying music in Germany, is tempted into living beyond his means.  Faced with new obstacles, they look back on the lessons learned at home and begin to appreciate the real value of their Plumfield education.
This is the last in the series of Little Women books.  Set in a gentler place and time, these books are taking me away from the isolation I'm feeling, alone in my apartment with only my cat Clawdia, my phone, and my laptop for company.

============================
Gilion at Rose City Reader hosts
Book Beginnings on Fridays.
Click this link for book beginnings
shared by other readers.
============================

2 comments:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I remember reading this when I was a kid. I liked it. But when I reread Little Women as and adult I thought it was preachy. My quotes and review

Konna said...

I have to admit that I have only read Little Women.. Maybe I need to check the rest of the books :)
Konna @ The Reading Armchair