Sunday, April 5, 2020

Living in the time of Coronavirus

How perfect is this for Easter this year?  People keep coming up with such great connections.  A friend I met years ago when we were both teaching at Chattanooga State Community College posted on Facebook:  "April distance brings May existence."  Thanks, Fartema.  Another friend got creative; she knocked on my door earlier to give me a facemask she'd sewn for me.  Included with it was a page of instructions printed out, telling me exactly how to wash and dry it to make it safe before I try it on or wear it.  She herself had on another mask she'd made from a different colorful cloth.  Thanks, Sharon.

BROADCASTING CHURCH SERVICES

On a clergy FB page, someone asked if others were feeling stage fright trying to live stream or pre-record church services as we avoid large groups.  Oh, yes!  Some admit stumbling over the words to the Apostles Creed or even the Lord's Prayer, saying they've printed out copies to have in front of them, just in case it's needed.  One pastor admitted to jumbling the words or not staying with the same version at the place where different churches say "trespasses" or "debts" or "sins."
"And forgive us our sins, as we forgive our debtors."
I read somewhere that the time it takes to say the Lord's Prayer is the right amount of time for washing our hands and thought, "Great!"  Then I stumbled over the words while trying to do it, and I was alone at my own sink!  It seems to work best if I sing the prayer (mentally), so I won't leave out any words.  Someone else admitted mispronouncing the word "foal" when she read the Palm Sunday story."  Another person came back with a pun for that:  "We are all foals for Christ."  Made me laugh.  Keep up your spirits; find something to smile about each day.

2 comments:

Bonnie Jacobs said...

When Sharon brought me that mask she had made, Clawdia heard her voice and came to the door, saying, "Is it really you? Did you come to pet me?" And out the door she marched, over to Sharon, who said she'd been missing Clawdia, too.

Helen's Book Blog said...

It's amazing how quickly we all adjust to our new situation. Though it doesn't feel "normal" to wear a mask and gloves to the grocery store and line up for 30 minutes to be admitted, I don't question it.