Sunday, April 14, 2019

Sunday Salon ~ Reading? Of course!

"I don’t plan on reading."  Wow!  That doesn't compute in my world, even before retirement.  I'm always reading something.  I don't read two novels at the same time, because my mind jumbles the characters together; but I always have one or two nonfiction books going, usually along with a novel.  I read in snatches of time between commitments, or even DURING commitments, like while waiting for a neighbor I've taken for a doctor's appointment.  I am often interrupted, but that simply means I go back and re-read a paragraph or two to re-focus when I find another chance to get back to my book.  I can't imagine a day without reading part of at least one book, usually more than one.  It probably helps that I gave away my television ten or fifteen years ago.  Maybe it was closer to twenty years.  I prefer to read and get my news on the computer and occasionally from listening to the radio.

That's my response to what another blogger wrote:
"I plan on reading for a few hours this afternoon as my wife, who works night shift, is sleeping.  Tomorrow, since I’m working for the middle part of the day, I don’t plan on reading."
When do I read?  Any time I'm awake and not busy with something like driving, or meditating, or chatting with a friend.  That means I usually have a book with me, just in case.



Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time zones — to talk about our lives and our reading. Other Sunday Salon musings are linked at the bottom of this Readerbuzz post.

6 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I agree with you, Bonnie. I still remember the shock (it almost felt physical) I experienced one day in the teacher's lounge at the primary school where I was a school librarian. We were talking about books (it was a rare day...mostly people spoke about the tv they watched) and one of the first grade teachers laughed and said, "Oh, I hate to read!" I. Hate. To. Read. A teacher. In my school. She saw the astonished look on my face, and tried to mute her words, but I could see she had spoken the truth.

I can't imagine people who don't like to read. What do they do with their lives?

Like you, I read constantly. I have books available any time there is a lag in real time. I don't brazenly pop open books when I am in polite society, but I often long to do so.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about reading. I loved reading your ideas and thinking about them.

shelleyrae @ book'd out said...

Me too, Bonnie :)
Except the TV thing, I still watch a lot of TV.

Have a great reading week

Shelleyrae @ Book’d Out

Helen's Book Blog said...

I, too, cannot imagine not reading. Like Deb, it strikes me as odd when I hear people who say they hate reading or that they read one book last year.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Yah, I cannot understand "I hate to read" either. How is that possible??? I can understand having a hard time finding a book, but hating reading, period? No.

Katherine Nabity said...

Honestly, I don't think I ever plan to read, or not to read. Both things just kind of happen, though *not* reading happens on a much rarer basis. ;)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Exactly, Katherine! The only time I "PLAN" to read is when I have to hurry and finish a book before a book discussion or something like that. I guess planning NOT to read is beyond my comprehension.