Sunday, April 8, 2018

Sunday Salon ~ Uncle Remus, books, and a short play


Uncle Remus

You may wonder why I'm thinking about this today.  Someone on Facebook had posted:  "I am totally lacking the Zippity part of my do dah day."  Someone else left a comment asking about the name of the movie.  It's from Walt Disney's 1946 animated movie "Song of the South," starring Uncle Remus.  My Aunt Bonnie took me to see it when it came out, and I loved it.  Now I'm singing the song.

I've been singing this catchy tune for 72 years so far.  If the video quits, watch it on YouTube and sing along with me.
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
My, oh my, what a wonderful day
Plenty of sunshine headin' my way
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
Mister Bluebird's on my shoulder
It's the truth, it's actual
Ev'rything is satisfactual
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, zip-a-dee-ay
Wonderful feeling, wonderful day.
Books

I finished one book this week (An American Marriage ~ by Tayari Jones, 2018, fiction, 9/10), and I've almost finished a second one (A Soft Place to Land ~ by Susan Rebecca White, 2010, fiction).  What's up next?  I need to finish some nonfiction books I'm discussing with various friends:
  • A Bigger Table: Building Messy, Authentic, and Hopeful Spiritual Community ~ by John Pavlovitz, 2017, religion
  • Bad Feminist ~ by Roxane Gay, 2014, women's issues
  • The Third Reconstruction: How a Moral Movement Is Overcoming the Politics of Division and Fear ~ by William J. Barber II, 2016, memoir/politics

Romeo and Juliet

Shakespeare Festival Tour performed at the Crown Center for Senior Living on Thursday.  The cast of five were able to play all of the roles in Romeo and Juliet.  Since this group tours schools, they also got the gist of the play covered in just under an hour.  Amazing, and fun to watch them dash behind a screen and come back out with minor costume changes to play another role.  One of them mentioned, during the question-and-answer session at the end, that Juliet got to mourn her own death.  If you click to enlarge the photo of their van, read the words on the door:  "Will on Wheels ― have verse, will travel."  I think Will Shakespeare would be proud.

More Sunday Salon posts are on Facebook.

1 comment: