Friday, February 2, 2018

Beginning ~ with something awful (or maybe awfully good)

The Bookshop on the Corner ~ by Jenny Colgan, 2016, fiction
The problem with good things that happen is that very often they disguise themselves as awful things.  It would be lovely, wouldn't it, whenever you're going through something difficult, if someone could just tap you on the shoulder and say, "Don't worry, it's completely worth it."
The illustration I used above advertised an event that occurred in 2016, but you can read the pdf about it by clicking this link.  When asked for a summary of this book, the author got it all in one sentence.
"It's about a girl, Nina, who loses her job in a library and decides to build her own bookshop in a van and hit the road!"
When asked about her writing habits, Jenny Colgan said, "I go to the gym, then I sit down in a cafe for 2 hours and write 2,500 words.  And that's all it is.  Just keep typing!"  Okay, the book drew me in.



Would the first few lines of your book make you want to read on?   If you would like to share the first lines of a book you are reading, click on the link and visit Gilion at Rose City Reader for today's Mister Linky.

9 comments:

Roberta Gibson said...

Oh my, that is a wonderful beginning. And so true.

I envy someone who can write 2,500 words in two hours in a cafe. I'm just too distracted in a busy place and too slow a typist to manage that.

Kathy Martin said...

Great beginning. Makes me curious about the book. This week I have A Cold Day in Hell by Lissa Marie Redmond. Happy reading!

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

You had me at bookstore. I don't even have a bookstore in my town anymore. My Friday Quotes

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Anne, that's exactly the kind of town she finds for her bookshop van. I think you'd like this book.

Katherine P said...

I loved this one! It's fun to see a little insight on it.

Helen's Book Blog said...

This one sounds good. Of course, it's about a bookshop so it must be good!

Anna said...

Oh this was a really cute book! I hope you enjoy it. And I forgot how adorable that first line is:)

Lauren Stoolfire said...

I like the sound of that snippet. Hope you enjoyed it. :)

Lauren @ Always Me

Tea said...

I really like that Teaser. I would like to read a few books with the theme or library or bookshop.