Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Heart-shaped cake

On Valentine's Day, we think of hearts, like this cake Senator Elizabeth Warren made.  She remembers her mother on this day:
"My mother was born on February 14, 1912 ― 106 years ago today.  She loved her special connection to Valentine’s Day, and when I was a little girl, I bought some heart-shaped pans at the dime store to bake her birthday cake."
Her mother died from a heart attack.  In today's mailing, she talked about access to good medical care, because regular check-ups and preventative care is the first step to fighting heart disease.  She says, "That’s why I fight so hard for community health centers. They provide the best possible basic health care at lower costs to anyone who walks through their doors."  As part of last week's budget deal, she helped secure $7 billion in funding for community health centers for the next two years.  That should save a few hearts!
"I still have my heart-shaped pans ― and even though my mother is gone now, I still bake a heart-shaped cake every Valentine’s Day to remember her.  But now I’m doing something more:  I’m fighting to make sure everyone’s mother, grandmother, daughter, sister, wife, partner, friend and neighbor can get the basic health care they need to live long, healthy lives with the people they love."
I had at least two silent heart attacks, and nine years ago this month I had quadruple bypass surgery.  When I get this posted, I'm going downstairs for a "Healthy Heart" presentation on eating right and exercising ― presented by a physical therapist ― on Valentine's Day.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

What a nice idea to post about heart health today, Valentine's Day.