Friday, February 16, 2018

How I study

This Bible pile-up from Martha Spong shows how some of us study, me included.  Every Bible is an interpretation by the translators involved.  Reading several versions allows me to look at the passage from different points of view.  Here are some of the translations I have within sight of where I sit typing this:
  • New American Standard Bible (NASB)
  • New Internationsl Version (NIV)
  • New Jewish Publication Society Version (NJPS)
  • New King James Version (NKJV)
  • New Living Translation (NLT, The Book)
  • New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
  • Phillips New Testament in Modern English (Phillips)
  • Revised Standard Version (RSV)
  • Scholars Version of The Complete Gospels (SV)
  • Stephen Mitchell's translation of the classic stories of Genesis
  • Eugene H. Peterson's paraphrase of The Message
  • Reynolds Price's translation of Three Gospels
  • Andy Gaus's translation of The Unvarnished Gospels
That's just part of what I have, but Wikipedia has a long list of Bible Translations into English, if you are interested.

No comments: