Thursday, June 28, 2012

BTT (#25) ~ first teacher

Margaret @ Booking Through Thursday asks, "Who taught you to read?"

Mother used to tell the story about watching me "read" to my baby brother when I was a preschooler I don't know what age we were, but I'm two-and-a-half years older.  As she watched, however, she realized I had memorized the whole book.  Maybe I could recite several books.  I knew the words and turned the pages at all the right places.

Because we didn't have kindergartens in 1945, my first day of school was when I entered first grade.  I was so excited because I wanted to read.  My parents, who read us stories at bedtime, assured me I would learn to read in the first grade.  I came home that first day very disappointed because they didn't teach me to read.

So who taught me to read?  It must have been Mrs. Curry, my first grade teacher.  I remember learning phonics:  blowing breath out "huh" was the sound of H, which was shaped like a ladder with only one rung, my name Bonnie starts with "buh" or B, and so forth.  But I already knew how to write my name, and that means I already had the concept of words and sounds.  Never was there anyone who wanted to read more than I did.  I have always loved books.

This little three-year-old girl, however, seems to be able to read the side of the orange juice carton.  Does she?  Or is that just code for "looking at what's there"?

I Always, ALWAYS Get My Way ~ by Thad Krasnesky, illustrated by David Parkins, 2009, children's, 10/10
When three-year-old Emmy spills juice and her dad’s pants get “orange-hosed,” she takes refuge behind Mom’s knee.  Expecting a reprimand, Emmy is surprised when Mom tells Dad, “Now, sweetheart, you should let it be.  After all . . . she’s only three.”  Once Emmy discovers that she’s too young to be punished, she constantly wrangles her way out of trouble by proclaiming, “I’m only three!” and pulls a handy weapon from her arsenal of manipulative maneuvers.  But Emmy discovers she can’t get away with her outrageous behavior forever and that her actions do eventually have consequences.
This kid goes beyond what I think a three-year-old child could do, but it's outrageous enough to be fun reading and real enough to teach a lesson.  Nancy @ Bookfoolery and Babble reviewed this book today, just in time for me to include it in my BTT post.  Flashlight Press has wisely provided a pdf of the complete book (I'm very impressed with Flashlight Press books), so parents and grandparents can see whether it's what we'd like to order.  And I liked what I read enough to rate this book 10 of 10, my top rating.

Hmm, my great-granddaughter Raegan just happens to be three, and she loves to read.

1 comment:

Vicki said...

I've always loved books too!
Raegan is adorable!! Love the tutu!!
Here's My BTT