Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy 200th birthday, Charles

Dickens writing in 1858
Charles Dickens would have turned 200 today, if he weren't already dead at the age of 58.  Chrisbookarama wrote a letter to him that's great fun to read.
"Happy Birthday, Mr Dickens.  You look good for 200, not a day over 150.  I hope you have a great day.  Apparently lots of people will be celebrating for you, including the Queen.  Sorry you can't be there in person."
After linking him to some of her blog reviews ("do you know what a blog is?"), she wrote my favorite part and shared this "movie (that's what we call them)" with Mr. Dickens, which I now share with you.
"I know I have tons more of your books to read.  Will I be 200 before I get to read them all?  I would say keep writing but, you know, being dead kinda prevents that.  If you somehow manage it though, could you write a female character who is neither a mouse nor a bitch?  Thanks."

Thanks, Chris.  Informative as well as fun.

Among his most memorable writings, to me, are A Christmas Carol, A Tale of Two Cities, and Great Expectations.  What have you read by Charles Dickens?