Saturday, February 18, 2012

Dead ~ at the beginning


Ninety Minutes in Heaven:  A True Story of Death and Life ~ by Don Piper, 2004, memoir
I died on January 18, 1989.

Paramedics reached the scene of the accident within minutes.  They found no pulse and declared me dead.  They covered me with a tarp so that onlookers wouldn't stare at me while they attended to the injuries of the others.  I was completely unaware of the paramedics or anyone else around me.

While I was in heaven, a Baptist preacher came on the accident scene.  Even though he knew I was dead, he rushed to my lifeless body and prayed for me.  Despite the scoffing of the Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs), he refused to stop praying.

At least ninety minutes after the EMTs pronounced me dead, God answered that man's prayers.

I returned to earth.

This is my story.
I've already started reading this book -- today -- almost as soon as I left the library with it.  I'll probably have it finished before my library loot is posted on Wednesday.

 If you want to share the first lines of a book you are reading, click on the link and visit Katy at A Few More Pages.  (Today's list.)

Browse there to find interesting books for your own reading list.  And don’t forget that Katy and all the contributors to this meme (including me) love comments.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

This sounds like an intense read, I hope it's good!