Saturday, September 18, 2010

Caturday collaboration

When I wasn't busy eating and sleeping, I've tried very hard to find cat dreams in the book called Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver, which I started reading last Caturday.  It's a people story!  The book is about people.  I complained to Bonnie about that, "Meow, meow, MEW, meow!"  And she said she could have told me that, if only I had asked.  So I asked.  I said I wanted a book about an animal, preferably a cat.  Please.  I added "please" because Bonnie is more likely to do what I want when I say "please" and say it nicely.  This is the book she took down from a high shelf.  (Anything over two feet is "high" to me.)

It's a book about Dewey, a cat who lives in a library.  Here's the whole title:  Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World.  It's by Vicki Myron, the librarian in the small town of Spencer in northwest Iowa.

I especially like the last words in the first chapter.  The library people had found a freezing kitten in the drop box, shivering and dirty and trying to keep warm with piles of books falling around him.  Somebody asked Vicki Myron,
"What should we do with him?"
"Well ... maybe we can keep him."
That's on page 13, and that's as far as I've read.  Already I think this is a great book, with people in it who take care of a poor, cold kitty.  And I can imagine what the kitten is going to discover in the library.  I used to be a bookstore cat, back when Bonnie and Donna owned a bookstore.  Donna's cat, Sammy, was there too.  Click here to see Sammy, who is a scaredy cat.  I'm the one who always went out to greet the customers, but Sammy would peer around corners to see who was there.

This cat named Dewey will live around lots of books, the same way I have lived around lots of books, especially in the bookstore.  And even now, because we -- Bonnie and I -- have books in every room.  I need a nap right now, but I'll read more this week and tell you next Caturday whether Dewey has any adventures.  I used to be an outdoor cat, and I found drains that went under the store and into sewers.  I saw lots and lots of cars on the busy streets, and unfortunately I saw a cat who didn't make it across a side street.  I don't go outside anymore, and I don't guess Dewey wanted to go back outside once he found a warm place to live.  I'll let you know.

Oh, are you curious about that word "collaboration" in the title?  I put it there because Bonnie and I came to an agreement.  Since I can't have a blog of my own, Bonnie says I may write on Caturdays whenever I choose.  She even let me put my profile picture at the top today.  I won't remind her tomorrow to change it back, and maybe she'll forget.  So today, I'm top cat!







Kiki, signing off ....... (yawn)

4 comments:

Emily said...

I am glad you are reading about Dewey. I can see how you two could relate to being around so many books. Just for the record, I know several librarians and book lovers that really love cats.

Anonymous said...

I love you too, Emily, especially when you give me treats.

Signed,
Kiki Cat

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Kiki, Caturday is over, and I didn't forget. But I'll leave your picture in the top spot for now. Does that make you happy?

Love,
~~~ Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Meow ... thank you.

Signed,
Kiki Cat