Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Recent arrivals ~ two old books

My friend Donna is a former English teacher.  When she came to lunch at my house on Monday, she brought two books she thought I might use with my writing classes.

The Write Source by Patrick Sebranek, Dave Kemper, and Verne Meyer (1987) is a handbook for students.  Flipping through it, I quickly saw how outdated some of it is.  For example, there's a handwriting chart inside the back cover; remember our recent discussion of cursive?  (See the comment section of this post.)  Students are no longer being taught cursive writing.

The Write Source also has a section on how to use the card catalog at the library (pp. 190-191).  Okay, raise your hands if you remember the tiny wooden drawers of a card catalog.  It was full of 3x5-sized cards with information about books laboriously typed onto each card (yes, using a typewriter).  I can imagine one of my students saying, "That's a strange way to Google something!"

But some things never change, like "Writing the Paragraph" (p. 95):
Prewriting:  Selecting a Subject
Planning:  Preparing the Subject
Writing:  Writing the First Draft
Revising:  Improving the Writing
The Least You Should Know about English Writing Skills by Teresa Ferster Glazier (1996) is the fifth edition of a book which already has a tenth edition, but the premise intrigues me.  Here it is, from page 2:
"Most English textbooks try to teach you as much as they can.  This one will teach you the least it can -- and still help you learn to write acceptably.  You won't have to bother with predicate nouns and subordinating conjunctions and participial phrases and demonstrative pronouns and all those terms you've been hearing about for years.  You can get along without them if you'll learn thoroughly a few basic rules.  You do have to know how to spell common words; you do have to recognize subjects and verbs to avoid writing fragments and run-together sentences; you do have to know a few rules of punctuation -- but rules will be kept to a minimum."
The first book has lots of drawings by Chris Krenzke, with little characters like the one on the front cover. The pictures make it more visually appealing than the second book, which has a few examples (like underlining subjects and verbs) but no pictures.  I may find more in the second book to use, though, like the list of "words often confused" (pp. 7-10).  Have you noticed people misusing these words?
accept, except
affect, effect
are, or, our
["respect are language by getting it right"]
brake, break
choose, chose
dessert, desert
do, due
[and I'll add dew]
feel, fill
have, of
[writers use "should of" when thinking "should've"]
hear, here
it's, its
[it's contracts "it is," and its shows possession]
knew, new
know, no
About the dessert-desert duo, the author says, "Dessert is the sweet one, the one you like two helpings of.  So give it two helpings of s."



I think I'll make my own list of problem words.  Can you think of others for my list?

4 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

Cursive is obsolete, card catalogs are obsolete, the books you have on writing are obsolete! Sometimes I think I am becoming obsolete! My profession (medical transcription) is destined to become obsolete, but I am just hoping it won't happen any time soon.

Words often confused - I have a list of these words handy for work, here are a few from my list:

acidic/ascitic (acidic - acid / ascitic - pertaining to abdominal fluid collection)

affect/effect - (affect - to have an influence on / effect - a result)

discrete/discreet (discrete - constituting a separate thing, distinct / discreet - modest)

disk/disc (use disk for spinal column)

dysphagia/dysphasia (dysphagia - difficulty swallowing / dysphasia - language disorder)

eminent/imminent (eminent - above in position, high, lofty / imminent - about to occur)

illicit/elicit (illicit - illegal / elicit - evoke)

perineal/peroneal (perineal - area between the vulva and anus / peroneal- relating to the fibula, bone in the leg)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Great list, Susan, though I probably won't need many of the medical terms in my writing class for students just beginning their careers. They need to learn to sort out there/their/they're.

Don't you wonder when and why our language got so many words that sound alike, but mean drastically different things? Okay, I can explain part of it, that English has roots in many languages, like Greek and Latin. But still.......

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Susan, we may have to add status / statue to the list of word pairs. On Facebook today, a friend's friend liked what she had written in her status and told her (and I quote): "I'm borrowing this for my statue today."

I envision a statue plastered with sayings!

Susan Tidwell said...

Statue - good one! Facebook is full of misspelled words etc., it is discouraging to read some of these words being written by adults. Of course it could be just typos. At least it is not in cursive so we can read it - LOL.