Sunday, September 5, 2010

Good books I've read

Rosemary got a Kindle and, ready to download books, asked, "Any suggestions?"

Our mutual friend Madge had two:  "A Fine Balance and Geek Love are two of my all time favorites."

Rosemary said, "I already read A Fine Balance, and it is one of my all-time favorite books too. I had Geek Love but have not read it yet. A co-worker recommended it to me years ago."

Reminding them we had read and discussed A Fine Balance in our book club a decade ago, I gave Rosemary a list of good books I've read lately.  Of recent novels, I suggested:

1. Look Again ~ by Lisa Scottoline, 2009
2. Every Last One ~ by Anna Quindlen, 2010
3. Shanghai Girls ~ by Lisa See, 2009
4. House Rules ~ by Jodi Picoult, 2010
5. The Postmistress ~ by Sarah Blake, 2010
This month's book for discussion with my online Book Buddies this month ~ click to join us!
6. Out of My Mind ~ by Sharon M. Draper, a YA novel, 2010
7. Family Matters ~ by Rohinton Mistry, 2002
8. The Wives of Henry Oades ~ by Johanna Moran, 2010
9. The Help ~ by Kathryn Stockett, 2009
10. The Invisible Mountain ~ by Carolina de Robertis, 2009
11. Remarkable Creatures ~ by Tracy Chevalier, 2010
12. Prayers for Sale ~ by Sandra Dallas, 2009

I also suggested two nonfiction books:

13. I Am Nujood: Age 10 and Divorced ~ by Nujood Ali, 2010
14. When Everything Changed ~ by Gail Collins, 2009

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry was published in 1995.  I read it in June 2000 and again in December 2001.  About rereading books, Madge said, "That is the only one I reread again, ever."

What good books have you read in the past year or so?  Would you reread any of them?

3 comments:

raidergirl3 said...

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson. Wonderful British story.
Loved A Fine Balance, but I don't know if I could reread it. It was very emotionally exhausting.

Anonymous said...

Geek Love I read on my own but A FIne Balance we did read Bonnie in our old bookbuddies.

Beth said...

I loved A Fine Balance, too, but, like raidergirl3, found it too wrenching to read again.

I loved Olive Kitteridge and plan to read it again, soon. I think Olive is one of the most complex and interesting characters I've ever encountered in modern fiction.