Friday, June 15, 2007

TBR bookstore

On Monday my new book buddy Dewey decided her TBR pile had grown into a mountain. To commemorate the event, she decided the mountain needed a name, chose Charlie (for reasons she explains), and posted a photo of TBR Mountain, Charlie on her site. She ended her post with this challenge: "So! Here’s what I want to know! Would you post a picture of your TBR pile? Pretty please?" Here's my response:



Dewey, this is the best I can do. When we closed our bookstore full of used books, it took four storage units for the boxes. As people came in to trade books, I wanted to put aside this one ... hmm, maybe this one ... oh, definitely THIS one ... to read myself. Obviously, I didn't have time to read 3, 4, 6, 10, 17 books a day, so they went on the shelves. Sometimes customers would actually want to BUY the books I had mentally put on my TBR list ... hmmpf, the nerve of some people ... and just because it was a business I did the unthinkable and SOLD books I had not yet read. This does give you the idea I wasn't cut out to be a REAL bookseller, huh?

When I retired from bookselling, really-really retired, the store full (storeful?) of books left on the shelves went into boxes, which went into storage. That does tend to make it hard to find any one particular book I'm looking for, but I take home a boxful at a time. Unfortunately, the library keeps getting new books, which I keep checking out. I have four library books checked out right now, plus stacks and stacks of books on every flat surface in my apartment. I read, and I read, and I read, and I write, and I read, and I read, and I write.

Okay, so you know I'm 67 and I cannot possibly finish a bookstore's worth of books in my lifetime, but a girl can dream, can't she?

15 comments:

Dewey said...

Have you seen the Monty Python sketch where a guy goes into a bookshop and the bookshop clerk keeps telling him each book he wants isn't for sale? I'll find it for you if you haven't.

I can see how "TBR Mountain, Charlie" looks like "This is my TBR Mountain, named Charlie" but no, it's name is just TBR Mountain. The Charlie part got tacked on because in the little video I posted, the other unicorns keep saying Candy Mountain, Charlie! Candy Mountain! to Charlie. So now in our house, when we want to exclaim over something large, we say Laundry Mountain, Charlie! or Spinach Mountain, Charlie! and so on. You should watch that video, it's adorable.

Susan Tidwell said...

Wow, now that is ambitious! Good luck with getting all those books read! Have a great weekend.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

No, Dewey, I'm not familiar with that Monty Python sketch. Maybe someone was watching ME, you think? Okay, sorry about mistaking the mountain's name. Hey, TBR Mountain, do you forgive me?

Dewey said...

Here's the book shop sketch.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Dewey, that was truly a weird book shop. Not like mine, after all. We didn't deal in dentists, for one thing. And besides, my books looked MUCH better!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ah, Susan, never fear! I had already read about half the books before we opened the store ... lol. Don't laugh (well, yes, do go ahead and laugh). It truly did feel like I'd read half the books! What I hadn't read, I often knew about because I had read a book review ... or knew the author's other books ... or could refer customers to similar books. I'm sure I'll read all the books that matter to me.

Anonymous said...

We need a desert island.

Bonnie! I was just about to sign up for the last lion. I didn't want to until I saw if a poem emerged, which it did (I always resist writing and have to see if it starts itself). When I went to sign up the last lion had been taken! I'm sad because I already got attached to him and the personality that came forth.

Marylyn S said...

Bonnie,
I am scared to count my TBR pile. I want to read evrthing...

Dewey said...

Ah! I just spotted my it's/its mixup in that first comment. :)

Yes, the bookshop sketch was even weirder than I remembered it!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Oh, Colleen, I'm so sorry! However, there is still hope. Seamus, the tamer of the lions who came up with the idea of the writing circle, is talking about having lion "twins" where a lion is used more than once. Maybe you could get the twin of the lion you wanted. I have twin daughters and know that twins don't always have the same personality and do always have different names. Why don't you share your poem under the picture of "your" lion on The Shameless Lions Writing Circle page and say yours must be a long-lost twin? It's worth a try. We are just beginning to debate whether to allow the twins thing, so it may sway a few people. I wish you the best.

Anonymous said...

I already wrote a piece using the lion poem and story for this weekend's Sunday Scribblings "eccentric." The lion does have pink hair, after all.

Stephanie said...

Hey Bonnie!! I wish you didn't have to close your store. I so wanted to visit it one day. But I did get to visit YOU!

What is that phrase....So Many Books, So Little Time?? Yep. That's how I feel!

Dewey said...

http://deweymonster.com/?p=35

You were right, it wasn't tagged in the reviews category. Sorry!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Dewey, I got it.

Bookfool said...

Oh, my! You may actually have more books than I do. I can't say for sure, though, because my TBRs are spread throughout our house, boxed up in the closet and garage . . . you name it. It's hard to remember a time when I could actually count my books. :)