Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Anansi Boys ~ by Neil Gaiman

Anansi Boys ~ by Neil Gaiman

I've been meaning to read Gaiman's American Gods, but I put Anansi Boys on reserve after reading Stephanie's great review of the book. She was mostly impressed by the humor, which is lots of fun, but what I liked best was its high regard for songs. This is at the beginning of the book:
"It begins, as most things begin, with a song. In the beginning, after all, were the words, and they came with a tune. That was how the world was made, how the void was divided, how the lands and the stars and the dreams and the little gods and the animals, how all of them came into the world. They were sung."
I like that! Of course everything was SUNG into existence! And singing is really what this book is about, well, songs and spiders. Anansi, one of the most popular characters in West African mythology, is a spider, a storyteller, and a trickster. If you read this book, you'll learn some of Anansi's stories, but be prepared to have your world flipped upside down a time or two. Rated 8/10, a very good book.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

I'm SO Glad you liked it!! I hate to recommend something, then have it hated!! Gaiman just let's his words flow...and I DID appreciate the way he used stories and song to create this book!!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Three years ago I had not yet decided to add the date of publication consistently, but I did add "2005" when I listed this book on my Bonnie Reviews Books blog:

http://bonniereviewsbooks.blogspot.com/