Friday, February 10, 2012

Beginning ~ with a big head

I was born with water on the brain.

Okay, so that's not exactly true.  I was actually born with too much cerebral spinal fluid inside my skull.  But cerebral spinal fluid is just the doctors' fancy way of saying brain grease.  And brain grease works inside the lobes like car grease works inside an engine.  It keeps things running smooth and fast.  But weirdo me, I was born with too much grease inside my skill, and it got all thick and muddy and disgusting, and it only mucked up the works.  My thinking and breathing and living engine slowed down and flooded.
That's the beginning of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian ~ by Sherman Alexie, 2001, YA fiction.  On page 3, the narrator tells us in words what my googled photo above shows — an enlarged head.
And other kids just called me Globe.  The bullies would pick me up, spin me in circles, put their finger down on my skull, and say, "I want to go there."
I hate bullying, and I want to know what happens to this child.

If you want to play along, this meme is hosted by Katy at A Few More Pages. Share the first sentence or two of the book you are reading. (Sometimes it takes several sentences to get the full thought.) Then, share your impressions of that beginning.  Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

This is such a good book! It is funny, poignant and interesting. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it

(my version of Blogger still won't let me choose to get followups, maybe because it thinks I need to sign in with my Google Account...). Don't worry about this

Helen's Book Blog said...

Once I've published my comment, it registers who I am and I can, on this comment, "follow"

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Now that's just plain odd.