Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Blogging Tips Meme

UPDATED: See updates in red below.
Also, Grace said we can see all the blogging tips HERE.


Stephanie at Confessions of a Book-a-holic has tagged me with the Blogging Tips Meme, which actually has some helpful blogging tips we can all use. Ready? Here we go!

-Start Copy-

It’s very simple. When this is passed on to you, copy the whole thing, skim the list and put a * star beside those that you like. (Check out especially the * starred ones.)

Add the next number (1. 2. 3. 4. 5., etc.) and write your own blogging tip for other bloggers. Try to make your tip general.

After that, tag 10 other people. Link love some friends!

Just think - if 10 people start this and the 10 people pass it on to another 10 people, you have 100 links already!

1. Look, read, and learn. *** http://www.neonscent.com/

2. Be EXCELLENT to each other. ** http://www.bushmackel.com/

3. Don’t let money change ya! * http://www.therandomforest.info/

4. Always reply to your comments. ***** http://chattiekat.com/

5. Link liberally — it keeps you and your friends afloat in the Sea of Technorati. * http://chipsquips.com/

6. Don’t give up - persistence is fertile. * http://www.velcro-city.co.uk/

7. Give link credit where credit is due. *** http://www.sfsignal.com/

8. Pictures say a thousand words and can usually add to any post. ** http://scifichick.com/

9. Visit all the bloggers that leave comments for you - it's nice to know who is reading! * http://stephaniesbooks.blogspot.com/

10. Thrown in something humorous occasionally, to keep things fun. http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/

-End Copy-

Time to pass it on, so here are my 10 links ... with a spare in case one of the others isn't able to do this. By the way, folks, you are all #1 in my book!

1. AbVan at Absolute Vanilla ...(& Atyllah)
UPDATED: Absolute Vanilla's tip = Blog for yourself and your own pleasure, because you want to - if it stops being fun, stop blogging.
UPDATED: Absolute Vanilla said: "And I'm going to add to more, just because I can! Extra tips = Blogging is a multimedia environment, use the media to enliven your blog - words, images, video, music but ... stick to good design rules and remember that less is more.
1. Colleen at Loose Leaf Notes
1. Dewey at the hidden side of a leaf
1. Jenn at Something to Say
1. Jill at The Magic Lasso
UPDATED: Jill's tip = Sometimes, less is more. Step back and look at your blog - is it too busy? Are there enough pictures to make it interesting? Think about how a visitor would perceive your blog - making it visitor-friendly will help get you return visits.
1. Karen at Verbatim
1. Lisa at Books. Lists. Life.
UPDATED: Lisa's tip = "When picking the URL for your blog, think short and easy. You'll be typing it a million times."
1. Michelle at http://3m3am.wordpress.com/
UPDATED: 3M's tip = Do at least a few of the blogging quizzes available. It lets people know a little more about you.
1. Nancy at Bookfoolery and Babble
1. Susan at Patchwork Reflections
UPDATED: Susan's tip = "Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light." — Joseph Pulitzer (1847-1911)
1. Wendy at Caribousmom
UPDATED: Wendy's tip = Make it easy for your readers - use tags and labels and keep it simple!

Have fun! I intend to follow this meme and find out what other wonderful ideas and suggestions you ten ... uhm, eleven ... have to offer.

Oops! Wait! I have linked liberally, responded to Stephanie's comment by doing this meme, visited all of you to set up all these links (and am planning to go back to tell you I've tagged you), had fun doing this ... but ... but ... but I forgot to use a picture to say another thousand words! Aiiiiieeee! Okay, I'm adding a picture now. There! See it to the right? It's a ... wait, let me see what I clicked on ... it's a purple hyacinth! Yay! Umm, you DO see the relevence, don't you?

20 comments:

Dewey said...

Of course I see the relevance! Like the blogosphere, the hyacinth is one big thing, but it's really made up of many tiny blossoms.

I will have to come back to this later. I just returned from a brutal hike and I'm only even on the internet because I have to rest up to take a shower! So exhausted.

Dewey said...

Also! I meant to tell you that I came SO CLOSE to grabbing your cat on a book picture and having a graphics-ish friend turn it into a lolcat. But s/he looked too dignified, and I was afraid of offending!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Uhmm, technically that cat is not Kiki, though Roary thinks it is. It's a famous painting that I found once on a calendar, then full-page on one of the calendar months, then here and there on the internet. I still haven't worked out taking photos myself and getting them out of the camera and into the computer. When I have time (LOL), I'll get out the manual and start learning how my camera REALLY works for me. One day, really. Soon, I hope. No, really!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bonnie, I'll be busy with Floyd Fest (our town's world music festival) most of this weekend, so I can't promise I can get to this but when I get back in the blog groove I'll see what I can come up with. Meanwhile you can check out http://floydfest.com. Most of my family is involved in on way or another. My son Josh is coming and his girlfriend is in one of the bands playing. Right now I'm getting my house ready for six people to sleep...and tomorrow is 13 Thursday.

Jenn in Holland said...

Hi Bonnie-
Thanks for the tag. This looks like fun. I love your hyacinth photo--it's beautiful and yes, so perfect in it's imagery and representation. Well done.

Unknown said...

Lovely photo, good relevance :-)
Have done the meme, but I'm not tagging anyone because most of the people I know hate being tagged. Respect and all that, you know :-)

Susan Tidwell said...

Hi Bonnie! Thanks for the tag (I think!) I need all the blogging tips I can find, so am looking forward to exploring all your links. Since you have so many blogs (7?) you could probably teach a course on 'how to blog'!

Will get to work on my part, have a great day!

Chris said...

Fun is good! Btw, I love your mystery carrot award.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the tag, I'll have to think about my tip.

Wendy said...

Hi Bonnie - thanks for the tag! You can read my post here :)

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Colleen,
Not to worry. Memes are to do when they seem fun to you ... and manageable. I hope Floyd Fest goes well.

Jenn,
I hope it's fun for you. I had fun doing it ... and now reading what others have suggested as blogging tips.

Absolute Vanilla,
Thanks for taking part, but please let me know if you would rather not get tagged again. This was a fun meme for me, and I hope it was for you. I like your tip :^)

Susan,
Teach a course on how to blog? Whenever would I find the time ... lol. Nah, actually it sounds like it would be fun to do. (And how many times in this post and my comments have I used the word "fun"? Oh, yeah, that was my tip, wasn't it?)

Chris,
I'm glad you agree that fun is good! (There, I've said "fun" again!) I love the mystery carrot award too, which is why I adopted it. It's free, so copy mine or go to the source and get the HTML. Then add it to YOUR sidebar. Mine is there for fun, and Dewey also likes it. What could be "funner"?

Lisa,
No hurry. Do it when (and if) you feel like it. I'm not putting pressure on anybody. Dare I say it again? Have FUN ... lol.

Wendy,
Thanks for the link. I like your tip :^)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for participating! If you want the full list for the tips, they're here: http://neonscent.com/blog/2007/07/19/blogging-tips-web-meme/
And you're right; lots of bloggers are very serious!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Gracie, I'll put this link within the tips meme itself.

Anonymous said...

No problem. And thanks!

Jill said...

Hi, Bonnie: I posted this meme to my blog - come check it out!

Thanks for the tag!
Jill
http://mrstreme.livejournal.com

Dewey said...

I like Jill's tip. Sometimes I get to a strange blog via Thursday Thirteen and it's so glittery and neon and moving all around that I get a little seasick and close the tab right away without even reading!

Susan Tidwell said...

Bonnie, instead of making a blog post - I am offering up this quote for your list:

"Put it before them briefly so they will read it, clearly so they will appreciate it, picturesquely so they will remember it and, above all, accurately so they will be guided by its light." — Joseph Pulitzer (1847-1911)

Obviously he wasn't speaking of blogging, but isn't it uncanny how it applies? So that is my contribution to your list - briefly, clearly, picturesquely, accurately.

Have a great weekend!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Jill and Dewey. You, too, Susan -- and I'll add your "tip" to my blogging tips.

Lotus Reads said...

Great tips, all of them! I just did mine, I think it's a fabulous idea that you're updating the meme. It's nice to be able to read all the tips at one place, thank you!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Dewey, the hyacinth paragraph's significance is two-fold:
(1) I had forgotten to put in a picture, which is supposedly worth a thousand words; and
(2) I needed something humorous, something "fun" to reinforce my blogging tip to throw in something humorous in order to keep things fun.