Saturday, July 14, 2007

Book meme

Dewey posted a good meme on her blog, one about favorite books at various times in her life. I don't want to go through the whole list, but this is what I wrote after reading hers:

Dewey, your opinion of magical realism may not be popular, but I agree with you. I don't like it.

The book I loved in preschool was Uncle Wiggily's Story Book; my parents would read us a chapter of it each night at bedtime.

I also loved Doris Lessing's The Golden Notebook, but I wasn't in college when I read it.

Ishmael is a keeper, and I am currently reading Daniel Quinn's When They Give You Lined Paper, Write Sideways and discussing it with a friend on Sundays.

All of my favorite sci-fi books are really speculative fiction (SF works, even if sci-fi doesn't): Jack Finney's Time and Again is at the top of the list. Have you read Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman? I love it and re-read it about every ten years. Now I need to read The Gate to Women’s Country.

The Mists of Avalon is my favorite fantasy book.

I haven't read a lot of mysteries lately, but I did like Marcia Muller's Listen to the Silence.

Thanks for posting this Margaret Atwood quote in your left sidebar: “The answers you get from literature depend on the questions you pose.” As a philosophy major one thing I learned to do was ask good questions.

No comments: