Friday, June 14, 2024

Beginning ~ with a wish

Beginning

Most days I wish I was a British pound coin instead of an African girl.  Everyone would be pleased to see me coming.

Little Bee ~ by Chris Cleave, 2008, fiction, 271 pages (449 pages in the large print version, on the right)

The lives of a sixteen-year-old Nigerian orphan and a well-off British woman collide in this page-turning #1 New York Times bestseller.  It's funny, but a horrific beach scene is horrific, according to Amazon.  The story starts there, but the book doesn’t.  And it’s what happens afterward that is most important, according to the blurb on the back.

1 comment:

Literary Feline said...

I read Little Bee years ago and parts of it has stayed with me. Chris Cleave does a good job of balancing the light and the serious. I hope you have a great weekend, Bonne!