Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Two library books for TWOsday

Yiddish Wisdom ~ illustrated by Kristina Swarner, 1996, 79 pages, 9/10

The humor of Yiddish is captured in this delightfully illustrated treasury more than a hundred folk sayings in both English and Yiddish.  These caught my attention:
  • "Still waters run deep" (p. 71).
  • "Jack of all trades, master of none" (p. 10).
  • "The ocean cannot be emptied with a spoon" (p. 55).
  • "If you eat a bagel, only the hole remains in your pocket" (p. 45).
I'd heard the first three, but that last one made me stop and think, since I don't put bagels in my pockets.  I now wonder how many bagel and donut holes I've eaten "around" (lol).

Pigs in Heaven ~ by Barbara Kingsolver, 1993, literaturary fiction, 343 pages

When six-year-old Turtle Greer witnesses a freak accident at the Hoover Dam, her insistence on what she has seen and her mother's belief in her lea to a man's dramatic rescue.  But Turtle's moment of celebrity draws her into a conflict of historic proportions.

No comments: