Thursday, April 25, 2024

Science fiction and fantasy

Misha Burnett's Endless Summer: Twelve Strange Tales of Mankind's Future ~ by Misha Burnett, edited by P Alexander, 2020, science fiction, 193 pages
Misha Burnett is a master of the macabre and champion of the New Wave.  His talent for tales runs the gamut of weird fiction from contemporary Urban Fantasy to Sword & Sorcery to Science Fiction, all with his unique (and slightly twisted) take!

Misha Burnett's Endless Summer is a collection of strange and chilling tales of humankind's future, near and distant, from tomorrow until beyond the mark of history, through civilization's zenith, decline, destruction, and ultimately, the rebirth of humans!

Embark on an incredible and breathtaking journey across the ages, beginning with the time-travel thriller "The Bullet from Tomorrow" and running through eleven original stories that hold up a mirror to the worst and, more importantly, the best that humanity has to offer.

Small Worlds
~ by Misha Burnett, 2023, science fiction and fantasy, 240 pages
Small Worlds has all of the hallmarks of Misha Burnett’s fusion of Science Fiction & Fantasy (SFF) with classic weird, inviting the reader into the uncanny realms where the mundane has been pervaded by the strange, but also brings to the table his unique brand of white-knuckle thrilling adventure.

The story behind these stories

I was talking to a friend about books, and she mentioned this writer.  So I came home and looked him up.  Those of you who've been reading my blog know some of my very favorite books are science fiction, right?  So I looked up this author, liked what I saw, and bought one of his books for my Kindle.  Guess what I'll be reading in the near future!

I downloaded the top one, with the stories.  I chose it because the man from the future in the first story is given the fictitious name "Ernie Sutcliffe" (p. 15).  I knew that because I read the sample Amazon allows us to peruse.  Look at that name again.  "Sutcliffe" is an English name, derived from the "South Cliffs" of Dover.  Friends know why I'd notice that.

No comments: