Sunday, February 18, 2024

Books for snowy days

Cat Out of Hell ~ by Lynn Truss, 2016, cozy animal mystery, 176 pages
The scene: a cottage on the coast on a windy evening.  Inside, a room with curtains drawn.  Tea has just been made.  A kettle still steams.  Under a pool of yellow light, two figures face each other across a kitchen table.  A man and a cat.  The story about to be related is so unusual yet so plausible that it demands to be told in a single sitting.  The man clears his throat, and leans forward, expectant.  "Shall we begin?" says the cat.
Sam Hall posted this 1966 snow photo on his Chattanooga history page:  Remember When.  I was looking out my window in St. Louis at the 7-8 inches of snow that had fallen the day before when I chanced on Sam's historical photo.  In 1966, I lived on Signal Mountain, north of the Tennessee River at Chattanooga.  So I'm sure I had even more snow than this downtown area had.  The mountains always get more snow.

When I wrote about M. L. King's book The Measure of a Man (
HERE), Deb commented:  "I wonder how MLK, Jr. defines the three dimensions.  I think I understand length."  This is what I learned in reading the book:
  1. LENGTH = being concerned about self and how long we live (looking in)
  2. BREADTH = being concerned about others (looking around)
  3. HEIGHT = being concerned about God (looking up)
Deb at Readerbuzz hosts the Sunday Salon

3 comments:

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Oh, I like that. I'm saving that in my journal.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Which one, Deb?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Deb emailed me:

Bonnie, I thank you for sharing information about MLK, Jr.
Here’s part of what I added to my journal:

Then she quoted from my post:

This is what I learned in reading the book:
LENGTH = being concerned about self and how long we live (looking in)
BREADTH = being concerned about others (looking around)
HEIGHT = being concerned about God (looking up)