Sunday, August 27, 2023

Even in this sweaty weather, it's all small stuff

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life ~ by Richard Carlson, 1997, psychology, 248 pages

This book tells you how to keep from letting the little things in life drive you crazy.  In thoughtful and insightful language, the author reveals ways to calm down in the midst of your hurried, stress-filled life.  He suggests making small daily changes by choosing your battles wisely; reminding yourself that when you die, your 'in' box won't be empty; and making peace with imperfection.  Learn how to:
  • Live in the present moment
  • Let others have the glory at times
  • Lower your tolerance to stress
  • Trust your intuitions
  • Live each day as it might be your last
  • Make your life more stress-free.
We've had "sweaty weather" in St. Louis for ages, it seems.  The other day, I decided to walk around one of our buildings by going out a door of my building near the back of the other building, then walking around it to the Café door.  I hadn't gotten ten steps before my glasses fogged up.  Yes, really!  As I reached the far corner of the other building, the heat evaporated all the moisture off my glasses.  I have never, ever had such a thing happen before.  With temperatures near 100° or more all week, the weather has been miserable around here.

The Everyday DASH Diet Cookbook: Over 150 Fresh and Delicious Recipes to Speed Weight Loss, Lower Blood Pressure, and Prevent Diabetes
 ~ by Marla Heller with Rick Rodgers, 2013, health, 231 pages

A healthy diet is only as good as the food it provides in its plan.  In this guide to cooking the DASH way is everything necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  It includes recipes such as Cinnamon French Toast with Raspberry Sauce, Filet Mignon au Poivre, and Chocolate Fondue with Strawberries.

This book I have found among the mixed-up books on my bookshelves after my move this summer was my friend Donna's fourth DASH Diet book.  In the middle of it are color photos of many of the meals, and they look delicious.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz
hosts The Sunday Salon.

4 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

Don't sweat the small stuff (and it's all small) is really good advice for me right now so thank you!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff has been one of my long-time favorite reads. I see from Goodreads that I must have read it before I even reviewed the books I was reading, so that's a long time ago. Good to know that the advice is holding up over time. I am very interested in happiness, so it might be a good book to add to my list of books to read next year for Super Past Due Reviews.

JK Joy (aka) Jody said...

Oh the weather here was horrible all last week, the heat and humidity were just awful. I know how you feel, and it stinks, lol! I hope it gets better for us this week and we get a break. Have a great week 📚🌞💛

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

I remember my glasses fogging up at my mom's house in Arkansas and the carport was wet even though it hadn't rained and if it did rain, the carport stayed wet. So weird that humidity.