Wednesday, May 24, 2023

There's a word for that

The English language has some amusing words for things.  Here's one for word nerds:

Word of the Day #1


char·ley horse / noun (informal) = a cramp or feeling of stiffness in an arm or leg.  Example:  "She had a charley horse and limped as she went to the kitchen."

Word of the Day #2

roam /rəʊm / verb = to wander without a plan or a specific destination.  Example:  "Does your cat roam around the neighborhood all day?"

Why did I choose this word today?  Because someone mentioned that my cat roams the hall where I live.  No, she doesn't.  She walks beside me from our end of the hall to the other end and back again.  That is NOT roaming.

Word of the Day #3

gormless /chiefly British = dull, stupid, and lacking in intelligence.  Example:  "Professor Pigeon is not gormless."

I don't remember ever running across this word before, until this week.  So I looked it up.  I'd say Professor Pigeon is definitely the opposite of gormless.

No comments: