Sunday, May 21, 2023

"Keep an eye on your brother"

Words, words, and more words

My brother was born a two-and-a-half-years after me.  Mother was taking us for a walk when I was about four, pushing him in a stroller similar to this illustration.  Mrs. England was in her yard, so Mom stopped to talk to her, saying to me, "Keep an eye on your baby brother."  I was so perturbed and so anxious that, to this day, I can vividly recall what I felt.  I wailed back her, "How can I keep an eye on him?  Do I take out my eye and put it on him?"  As you can see (see? ha!), I was very literal and took words quite seriously!  Are you surprised that I became a wordsmith and a writer?  Oh, and also an editor?

Word of the Day

word·​smith /ˈwərd-ˌsmith / noun = a person who works with words, especially a skillful writer.  Example:  My first business was called Wordsmith.  (I still have my old business license, framed.)

The Monster Maker ~ by Ray Bradbury, 2020, science fiction, 58 pages, 9/10

Blast off to adventure in this golden age space opera story!  Their orders were simple, to capture the dread Space Pirate Gunther and bring him in.  But once their ship crashed onto an asteroid, the two men's chance at success weren’t looking very good.  All they had to work with were an hour of air each, one gun, a news-reel camera, and their wits.

Morgue Ship
~ by Ray Bradbury, 2020, science fiction, 13 pages, 9/10

This was Burnett's last trip.  Three more shelves to fill with space-slain warriors — and he would be among the living again.

Lazarus Come Forth ~ by Ray Bradbury, 2020, science fiction, 18 pages, 9/10

The Morgue Ship had gleaned information from space that would end the three hundred year war, knowledge that would defeat the aggressor Martians — if Brandon could carry it to Earth.
Sunday Salon
 
is hosted by Deb Nance at Readerbuzz.

10 comments:

Mark Baker said...

I can understand you confusion/concern. I just hope your got your eye back after you were done keeping an eye on him. ;)

Miaismine said...

What a funny story about keeping an eye on your brother! It reminds me to remember how literal my grandchildren are!
I love your descriptions o these reads! Are you sure you’re not an author as well? 😊

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I remember being confused most of the time when adults spoke to me as a child. They always assumed I knew what they were asking me to do, but I often had no idea. I love words, too, Bonnie.

When I was in my early twenties, I read nothing except old science fiction. My husband told me that we were reading the same Ray Bradbury book when we met, and I thought that might be a good sign!

Helen's Book Blog said...

My brother is also 2.5 years younger than me. I love that you were so literal!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Miaismine, notice that I said that I became a WORDSMITH and a WRITER and also an EDITOR. An author is a writer. I've been published locally, nationally, and internationally. Actually, my stuff was also in school publications along the way, being a staff writer in high school and college newsletters. Does blogging count? I've blogged here on Bonnie's Books since January 2007, so thousands of blog posts. Scroll to the bottom to see viewers from all over the world.

Look also at another of my blogs (I have several) called Book Buddies. It's at https://bookbuddies3.blogspot.com/

If you scroll to the bottom, it says there that 1119 viewers were mapped @ 12:18 pm today, May 21.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Oh dear!! You were a very literal little child! I'm guessing the Amelia Bedelia books were made for you? :-D

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I was born in 1940. It looks like the Amelia Bedelia books were made for my great-grandchildren. I have seven grandchildren, and six great-grandchildren (so far).

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Okay, after more research, I see the first Amelia Bedelia book was published in 1963. By then, I had three children. Maybe they read these books; I don't remember. I'll post something soon about Amelia Bedelia, maybe as soon as tomorrow.

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

The Amelia Bedelia books are great fun and I don't think you have to be a kid to enjoy them. I might borrow the ebooks from the library and reread them just for fun, now that they're top of mind. lol I remember when Amelia was instructed to "draw the curtains" and she did! With pen and paper, or something like that. Not what the lady of the house had in mind.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Tune in tomorrow, Jinjer, for more about Amelia Bedelia.