Thursday, November 24, 2022

Thursday Thirteen

1.  Ginnie Sams has a geeky mind, and she made a difference in the world.  Especially MY world.  She's the friend who took me in after my quadruple by-pass surgery in 2009.  I was looking for something else today when I ran across this video on YouTube.  Enjoy meeting my friend Ginnie, who was a member of Mensa when I met her many years ago.  Joining Mensa requires an I.Q. score of 148 or above.

2.  Here's a photo Ginnie took of me holding her cat when I was recuperating at her house on Lookout Mountain.  The cat's name was Wootchie.

3.  While composing this post, I stopped to call Ginnie and wish her a very Happy Thanksgiving.

4.  I also talked to her daughter for awhile, remembering things from the past.

5.  While on YouTube, I discovered a new (to me) recording of "Whippoorwill," a haunting tune by R. Carlos Nakai.

6.  "Whippoorwill" is the one piece I've memorized and play most on my cedar flute.

7.  I've posted "Whippoorwill" on this blog several times.  Click the link to hear the various recordings.

8.  Now I'll have to pick up my cedar flute and play this haunting tune again, won't I?  Yes, I did have to play it for myself.

9.  I slid the flute out of its green felt "case" and woke Clawdia with the dulcet sounds of "Whippoorwill."

10.  Word of the Day #1:  dul·cet /ˈdəlsət / adjective = (especially of sound) sweet and soothing.  Example:  "I didn't even try to record the dulcet tones I played on my cedar flute just now."
11.  Today I read about the book Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans de Waal and promptly put it on reserve at my library.  I'll tell you more about it later.

12.  Today I had the usual Thanksgiving fixings, another word for me to define.

13.  Word of the Day #2:  fixings (plural only) = the necessary ingredients for something, especially food or a social event.  Example:  "The fixings for Thanksgiving must include turkey and cranberry sauce."

Thursday Thirteen
is home of the easy meme where you make a list of 13 things on Thursdays.  The topic is your choice.  The only rule for Thursday Thirteen is to write about 13 things.

7 comments:

Lady In Read said...

Hope you are having a wonderful Thanksgiving.. And now, I am off to hear Whippoorwill - on your earlier posts and elsewhere too. I love the word dulcet....

CountryDew said...

What a lovely post. I must listen to that song! Thanks for playing Thursday Thirteen!

colleen said...

I really enjoyed listening to your friend's talk and seeing the picture she took of you. I thought she was going to read or perform poetry!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Ginnie's also a poet, Colleen, so there are probably videos on YouTube of her reading them. Try searching YouTube.

Liz A. said...

Yes, if you mention your flute, you must get out your flute and play. That's the best, isn't it?

Helen's Book Blog said...

I love how this post feels like a stream of conscience of lovely thoughts and memories.

Emily said...

Hi there! I did not remember seeing this video of Ginnie. Thanks for posting it. She was definitely of the 'geeky mindset'.