Sunday, November 20, 2022

Sunday Salon ~ books and life

Owls and Other Fantasies ~ by Mary Oliver, 2003, poems and essays, 92 pages

A perfect introduction to Mary Oliver’s poetry, this stunning collection features 26 nature poems and prose writings about the birds that played such an important role in the Pulitzer Prize winner’s life.  
 
Within these pages you will find hawks, hummingbirds, and herons; kingfishers, catbirds, and crows; swans, swallows and, of course, the snowy owl, among a dozen others — including ten poems that have never before been collected.  She adds two beautifully crafted essays, “Owls,” selected for the Best American Essays series, and “Bird,” a new essay that will surely take its place among the classics of the genre.

In the words of the poet Stanley Kunitz, “Mary Oliver's poetry is fine and deep; it reads like a blessing.  Her special gift is to connect us with our sources in the natural world, its beauties and terrors and mysteries and consolations.”

For anyone who values poetry and essays and for anyone who cares about birds, Owls and Other Fantasies will be a treasured gift.  For those who love both, it will be essential reading.


This also counts as a Nonfiction November selection.  Oh, and I can also claim it as library loot.

I'm still reading The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge by Peter L. Berger and Thomas Luckmann (1966), and my friend Fay's copy arrived by mail earlier than expected.  She and I plan to discuss it one of these days soon.

When I took the Crown Center bus on the grocery store trip this week, I chanced upon a new (to me) chewy granola bar:  fudge-dipped coconut.

This photo shows a 2-ounce size, but what I bought were 1-ounce bars.  I ate one shortly after I got home, and it was delicious.  😄  I used to call Donna a choco-holic, so I'm pretty sure she would have loved one of these.

Here's a 2019 photo of a blooming tree near the old gazebo at the Crown Center where I live.  I found it while searching for something else on my blog.  This whole area and the greenhouse you can see beyond the gazebo are no longer there, since that's where our new building is currently being constructed.

In the background is the Crown Center building that will remain when people from my building are moved into the new one being built where you see the grass and the gazebo and the pink tree again.  It looks like I took these photos on the same day, but they were taken two years apart.  This one is from 2017.

Bloggers gather in the Sunday Salon — at separate computers in different time
zones — to share what we have been reading and doing during the week.  

8 comments:

Mark Baker said...

Twice as much chocolate as you planned on. Sounds like a win to me!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

No, Mark. What I got was HALF the size of the illustration I found online. But it was plenty of chocolate for me.

Terrie said...

Sounds like you really enjoyed the bird book.
Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/sunday-post-25

Jinjer-The Intrepid Angeleno said...

Whew!!! What a lucky break! I saw your post about the fudge dipped coconut granola bars before my grocery pickup window closed and Walmart does carry them so I was able to add a box to my order! Thank you for telling us about them and posting a photo so that they were easy to find online. Can't wait to try them! I love chocolate & coconut so much!

Looks like a beautiful redbud tree in that photo in front of the Crown Center, right? I love them so much. Are you sad that the trees and the gazebo are gone? Will they create another outdoor space for you guys?

Hope you have a happy Thanksgiving week!

Elza Reads said...

I can't even remember the last time I've had a granola bar. Not too common in SA. Glad to hear you are still enjoying Non-Fiction November. I really should make a note to take part next year!

Have a good week Bonnie.

Elza Reads

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Enjoy the chocolate and coconut, Jinger. The gazebo was actually out BACK. I don't know if they'll replace the gazebo, but I do know they have outdoor space planned for us.

Elza, you have a third of November left, so read a single book or two for Nonfiction November. I'm sure you can find a short book on your TBR list that you can zip through. Go for it!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I've never read any essays by Oliver. "Her special gift is to connect us with our sources in the natural world, its beauties and terrors and mysteries and consolations." Exactly.

You are doing great on your Nonfiction November challenge. I hope you and Fay enjoy a great discussion on The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge.

I'm a choco-holic, too, but I try to fight it by only occasionally buying a chocolate treat.

Helen's Book Blog said...

I am finally catching up on my blog reading, having to skip far too many posts so that I won't be overwhelmed. The granola bar sounds delicious.