Sunday, November 13, 2022

November 13th is World Kindness Day


Readin' and writin' and 'rithmetic

I'm reading about writing.  Yeah, I'm slowly working my way through So You Want to Write: How to Master the Craft of Writing Fiction and Memoir (2nd edition) by Marge Piercy and Ira Wood (2010), which is very appropriate for Nonfiction November.  By the way, even though I am reading some nonfiction, I am not doing the "assignments."  I'd rather read.
"Writing something down is a way of keeping it."  I borrowed this line from a very old post on Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes blog (see #44).  I also found a list online of the benefits of writing things down:
  1. Writing things down helps you record everything that has your attention.
  2. Writing things down helps clear your mind.
  3. Writing things down helps clarify your goals, priorities, and intentions.
  4. Writing things down helps keep you motivated.
  5. Writing things down helps you recognize and process your emotions.
  6. Writing things down encourages daily progress.
  7. Writing things down enables a higher level of thinking, and therefore, more focused action.
  8. Writing things down develops your sense of gratitude.
"Over to you" is the way that person ended her list.  My thinking is closest to Colleen's, I believe.  I blog so I can keep track of the things on my mind:  the books, the words, the ideas.

The main thing I say about myself (on the sidebar, under my photo) is that "I read to explore ideas."  Writing it down continues my exploration of what's happening.

(Did you find the "arithmetic" in this post?  Sorry, it's only that list of eight numbers above.)

place to link up and to share what we've been doing
and what we've been reading during the week.
========================================

Deb shared in the comments that she had signed up at the Mayo Clinic's site for a month-long program to increase kindness in the world.  Here's the link:

7 comments:

Jenni Elyse said...

Happy World Kindness Day! Heaven knows we could all be a little kinder and do with more kindness in our lives. :D

So You Want to Write ... sounds like a good one. I'll have to check it out. I'm trying to participate in NaNoWriMo and it might be helpful for after.

Have a great week!

My Post

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

If I don't write things down, I forget them immediately. Happy World Kindness Day!

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I love it that today is World Kindness Day. I signed up at Mayo Clinic's site for a month-long program to increase kindness in the world this morning. The link is here, if you are interested: https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/wellness/kindness.

I want to write a book before I leave this planet, and I am getting organized right now. I know a lot of people write a whole novel in November, but I don't really think I can do that.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Deb, that period you put at the end messed up the link. Here's the link, everybody, if you want to go to the Mayo Clinic's site for a program to increase kindness in the world:

https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/wellness/kindness

I'll also add it at the end of my blog post. Thanks, Deb.

colleen said...

Hi Bonnie, I posted “I write because I hate to lose anything and writing something down is a way of keeping it” 17 years ago, but I may have said it before that!

Harvee said...

I gave up trying to write, and figured out I was happier writing only book reviews and not the books themselves

Emily said...

Nothing like a bit of kindness.

I like to write things down, otherwise I will just forget!

Have a great week!

Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
My post:
https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/11/13/sunday-salon-29/