Tuesday, August 24, 2021

I dreamed about words ~ skew and squeeze

I woke up this morning still mulling over my dream.  I was thinking about the difference between the K sound in "skew" and the Q sound in "squeeze."  Yes, I was dreaming about comparing a couple of words!

skew
/ skyo͞o / verb (past tense: skewed; past participle: skewed) = suddenly change direction or position.  Example:  "The race car skewed across the track."
  • twist or turn or cause to do this.  Example:  "He skewed around in his saddle."
  • make biased or distorted in a way that is regarded as inaccurate, unfair, or misleading.  Example: "She thinks the curriculum is skewed toward practical subjects."
squeeze / skwiz / verb (transitive/intransitive) = to press something firmly, especially with your hands.  Example:  "The little girl smiled and squeezed her teddy bear even tighter."

No comments: