Wednesday, May 26, 2021

Getting out again

Hurray, hurray!

Furniture is being moved back into the lobby of my building.  Maybe we're beginning to see the rainbow at the end of this miserable pandemic year — actually, it's been more than a year, as shown by this photo I took of the lobby on April 2, 2020.  Taped squares have been removed from in front of the elevator showing where to stand to be six feet from others waiting.

Philosophizing

This quote I found on Colleen's Loose Leaf Notes blog today made me stop and think.  I've emphasized the four categories of people, which I'll note could be women as well as men, no matter how Mencken and Keillor labeled them:

"A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn’t there.  A theologian is the man who finds it.  A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin.  An author is a man who, in the absence of toilet tissue, is forced to use his own manuscript and regrets that he wrote on such stiff paper." — H.L. Mencken and Garrison Keillor

Visiting with neighbors

The Crown Center recently put our outside tables in grassy areas with two chairs each, so we can visit with each other again, I presume.  I sat down with Rosie just outside the main entrance to our building on a warm day, and we caught up a bit on what we've been doing.  Earlier that day, I visited with Emma, one of the two grad students who lived here before the pandemic.  She came with her mother Jane, who was visiting from Ohio.

4 comments:

colleen said...

I can't wait to drink tap beer from glass rather than plastic again. Actually the quote is part H.L. Mencken with Keillor adding the last part!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thanks, Colleen. I've updated the post to show that the quote is from BOTH men.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I am feeling what a convict must feel on being released from a year in the pen.

Helen's Book Blog said...

It's so wonderful to know that people all over are beginning to emerge from inside, seeing friends, having real face-to-face conversations and getting fresh air! Enjoy.