Monday, July 9, 2018

Mindfulness ~ why'd I buy this book?

Can't Not Do: The Compelling Social Drive That Changes Our World ~ by Paul Shoemaker, 2015, sociology

What this book is about:
With so many social challenges facing our world, trying to effect change feels daunting.  The problems are complex, the politics murky, and the players innumerable.  Yet, every day there are regular heroes making a significant impact on our most intractable social issues.  “Can’t Not Do” is a catchphrase for the urge that captures the heart of effective social change agents — explaining, in their own words, their passion and drive:
  • “I can’t not do this.”
  • “It’s not that I can do this, it’s that I can’t not.”
  • “I could not imagine not doing something about this issue.”
The surprising truth from the trenches is that we already have numerous proven solutions for our many social challenges; what our world needs most, and what most changes our children’s future, are more people prepared and committed to act on their social impulses for the long haul.  Innovation helps.  Money helps, too.  But greater numbers of committed people help the most.

If you feel an internal, persistent call to do more for the world, this book will help you to bridge the gap between “wanting to do” and “doing.”  This book has seven seemingly simple questions that provide guideposts and unlock the reader’s potential to make a difference for a social cause they care about.  It isn’t a self-help book, but has authentic success stories, vital questions, and unconventional answers that can guide and inspire you to realize your greatest potential.
Why'd I buy this book?

Something's got to change.  I woke one morning to news that "Israeli forces kill dozens in Gaza as U.S. Embassy opens in Jerusalem."  That afternoon, I read:   "White House refuses to urge Israel to use restraint as 52 Palestinians are killed."  Lately, we've been hearing about the children at the border who were taken away from their parents.  Every day, it seems, there's a new atrocity.  If "something's got to change," maybe I'm supposed to do it.  Or start doing it.  Or contribute in some way.  Maybe this book will give me some ideas about HOW to do that thing I can't not do.

What are some of the things I'm concerned about?
Plastic in the oceans
Lying, hate, bigotry, corruption
The environment

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I do think it's time for us to start doing something, even if it is something small. Standing by doesn't seem to be an option anymore.