Friday, March 1, 2013

TGiF ~ let's learn some new words

In an article I read this morning, Leonard Sweet said that
"generational distinctions have been replaced by cultural divides. The main divide is between those raised on print technology and book mentality ('Gutenbergers') and those raised on digital technology ('Googlers')."
He also talked aboout TGiF culture, from "Twitter, Google, iPhone, and Facebook.”  As folks in a TGiF culture, we need to ask ourselves:
Am I a Gutenberger? or a Googler?
And then, while still ruminating on these words and concepts, I clicked over to Facebook.  Kathryn had shared a link to a video from code.org (thanks, Katt!) about the need for critical thinking and problem solving.
"Every student in every school should have the opportunity to learn to code."
Googlers are more likely to understand that sentence than Gutenbergers.  Today's children are growing up as Googlers, and they need to learn about a new "superpower" that isn't being taught in most schools.

So tell me:  Are you a Gutenberger? or a Googler?  The illustration I chose probably gives you a clue to my answer, though I always thought of myself as a bookie.

No comments: