Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Library Loot ~ March 20-26

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe ~ by Benjamin Alire Saenz, 2012, YA fiction (Texas)
Aristotle is an angry teen with a brother in prison. Dante is a know-it-all who has an unusual way of looking at the world. When the two meet at the swimming pool, they seem to have nothing in common. But as the loners start spending time together, they discover that they share a special friendship — the kind that changes lives and lasts a lifetime. And it is through this friendship that Ari and Dante will learn the most important truths about themselves and the kind of people they want to be.
  • Winner of the 2013 Stonewall Book Award for Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • A 2013 Michael L. Printz Honor Book
  • Winner of the 2013 Pura Belpré Author Award
Evolutionaries : Unlocking the Spiritual and Cultural Potential of Science's Greatest Idea ~ by Carter Phipps, 2012
This is the first popular presentation of an emerging school of thought called “evolutionary spirituality.” Carter Phipps, the former executive editor of EnlightenNext magazine, asserts that evolution is not only a scientific but also a spiritual idea in a book whose message has the power to bring new meaning and purpose to life as we know it.
From the back cover:
"When it comes to evolution, we've all heard about fossils and fruit flies, Darwin and Dawkins.  But the idea of evolution is far more profound and far-reaching.  Today, a movement of visionary scientists, philosophers, and spiritual thinkers is forging a new understanding of evolution that honors science, reframes culture, and radically updates spirituality.
Library Loot is a weekly event co-hosted by Claire @ The Captive Reader and Marg @ The Adventures of an Intrepid Reader that encourages us to share titles of books we’ve checked out of the library.  Add your link any time during the week, and see what others got this week.

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I do hope you enjoy Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe. I thought it began as a character study and by the end loved the plot and the characters!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

On the same day I posted this, RevGalBlogPals included me in a Wednesday Festival <https://revgalblogpals.org/2013/03/20/wednesday-festival-31/> by saying: "If you’re looking for a good read check out Bonnie’s Books as she has two recommendations!" But I don't recommend books before I read them and left this comment the next day:

"Revhipchick, I'm just now reading this post because I had TWO close friends in the same hospital yesterday having/recovering from surgery — and I was trying to be in two places at once, running errands for one friend and sitting with the husband of the other while she was in surgery. I cannot (yet) actually recommend either of the books I mentioned yesterday in my Library Loot post, as they are books I checked out of the library and have not yet read. One is an award-winning YA (young adult) novel that others have recommended to me, and the other book claims evolution is a spiritual subject as well as a scientific subject."

Okay, I've checked my Books Read in 2013 page and see that I really liked the first book, rating it 9.5 of 10:

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe ~ by Benjamin Alire Saenz, 2012, YA fiction (Texas), 9.5/10

But I see no indication that I completed the second book before returning it to the library.