Thursday, December 2, 2010

Feminist classics

I had about decided to do at least part of A Year of Feminist Classics when I started writing this post.  Participants will read and write about a feminist classic each month or any months they choose.  Here's the list of books I found a few days ago.
January: A Vindication of the Rights of Woman by Mary Wollestonecraft - Amy
February: The Subjection of Women by John Stuart Mill and Harriet Taylor Mill - Ana
March: A Doll’s House by Henrik Ibsen - Emily Jane
April: Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman - Iris
May: A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf - Ana
June: The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan OR The Female Eunuch by Germaine Greer – Amy
July: The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir - Iris
August: The Women’s Room by  Marilyn French - Emily
September: The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf - Amy (1991)
October: Ain’t I a Woman? by bell hooks - Iris
November: Gender Trouble by Judith Butler - Ana (1990)
December: Sister Outsider by Audre Lorde - Emily (1984)
On the other hand, I may change my mind if they keep changing the list. Here are the additions and deletions since I started considering this challenge less than a week ago:
January: So Long a Letter by Mariama Ba (1981, has been added to) A Vindication of the Rights of Woman
February:
March:
April:
May:
June: (Two classics) The Feminine Mystique OR The Female Eunuch (have been tossed aside to read) God Dies by the Nile by Nawal Saadawi (1985)
July:
August: (The classic) The Women’s Room (has been discarded for) The Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston (1975)
September:
October: Ain’t I a Woman? by bell hooks (AND) Third World Women and the Politics of Feminism (an anthology has been added, even though it is not a classic)
November:
December:
The changes the hosts are making seem to be an attempt at diversity, which isn't bad, but click here to see the book list they first promised.  How do you define a classic?  I think I'll pass on this challenge.

1 comment:

Helen's Book Blog said...

too bad, I know you were looking forward to doing this one