Sunday, October 3, 2010

A lonely only ~ it's a teaser

This week I brought home only one library book -- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith, 1943 -- and that only because I'm leading the discussion of it for my online Book Buddies.  Synopsis:
Francie Nolan learns early the meaning of hunger and the value of a penny. She is romantic and hungry for beauty, like her father.  She is also deeply practical and in constant need of truth, like her mother.  And like the Tree of Heaven that grows out of cement or through cellar gratings, Francie struggles against all odds to survive and thrive.
I haven't started reading it yet. First, I hope to finish a library book that's due back this week.  I've been so busy planning, teaching, and grading dozens of papers that I have been taking books back to the library unread.  Hmm, I wonder if I can do a teaser with this?  It will be a teaser for me as well as for you.  Opening the book at random, I'm reading this from page 123:
Johnny went back to thinking aloud.  "Married seven years and we've had three homes.  This will be my last home."

Francie didn't notice that he said my last home instead of our last home.
According to the back cover, Betty Smith was born Elisabeth Lillian Wehner on December 15, 1896, the same day (though five years earlier) as her fictional heroine Francie Nolan. The daughter of German immigrants, she grew up poor in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, the very world she recreates with such meticulous detail in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn.

Have you read this book?  What did you think of it?

5 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

When I read this a couple of years ago, I couldn't believe that I'd never read it before!

Beth said...

You know, I read this when I was quite young---I think in junior high (more years ago than I care to say). I can't say I remember the details, but I do recall that I liked it very much. I hope you do, too.

Marylyn S said...

Bonnie,
I have almost finished reading it. I cant believe how much of it I had forgotten about.

I think there is alot Smith's real life in this book, just based on the aspect of growing up a female and writer in that day and age.

I love it when her teachers discourage her...Wow we have come a long way, baby!

Lynne said...

I will not be reading with you this month as there is simply not enough time available to get it read.

I have enjoyed reading The Post Mistress and the Wives of Henry Oades along with you but my comments on the books seemed not to have materialized anywhere on the site.

Not sure if this will find you either but just want to let you know that I am not responding because I can't get through.

It worked before. If I can get the December book I might try again. If not, know that I appreciate your work Bonnie and will continue to read your comments when I can.

Lynne

Pastor Julia said...

I love, love, love this book. I've read it so many times and I see something new each time. The story of her growing awareness of the world and where she is in it is painful, honest and moving.