Friday, October 29, 2010

Just walked in the door

Hummingbirds by Joshua Gaylord (2003) walked in my door today. Okay, you technical folks, it walked in the door using my feet.  At any rate it arrived in today's mail and made my TGIF even better than it already was.  After the week I've had at school, it was delightful to get a book without even going shopping.  I was the winner in Helen's drawing at Helen's Book Blog.

Helen took part today in a meme I've never heard of until now.  It's called Book Beginnings on Fridays.  It seems only appropriate, on the day her book arrived, that I should share the beginning of it.  So here it is, the opening paragraph of Hummingbirds:
"September means pressed white shirts. New socks. School shoes. Rigidly pleated skirts. "Those pleats. That's what morality looks like," one of the history teachers said once in class. He was young and exciting, and he was talking about the Inquisition, which seemed to give him a particular thrill. "That pleat right there," he said with an arch smile, pointing to one of the girls' freshly pressed skirts. "That's morality for you." No one knew exactly what he meant. But all of the girls laughed and shifted a little sideways in their seats."
Sounds a bit creepy, huh? Makes me wonder what comes next. Yes, it's true, that's exactly how far I've read in the book so far -- one paragraph.  In spite of my curiosity, I won't start reading this one just yet because I am a mere 34 pages into Barbara Kingsolver's 2009 novel The Lacuna.  This is the book chosen by my Book Buddies for our online discussion in November -- and November is upon us!  It's hard to believe Monday is the start of a new month.

Click this link to see what others say about the books they are reading this week.

4 comments:

June said...

I've got Lacuna sitting on my dresser...just can't get to finding time or focus to read of late. Are you enjoying it?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

June, a friend mailed me the book last year, but every time I thought about reading it, I was turned off by the size (it's the heavy hardback) and the subject (I wasn't sure I cared about communist artists in Mexico). Since the reading group chose it, I really must read it now -- it's on my blog and I'm the one who posts discussion questions for us. And it isn't bad so far -- interesting, though not much has happened so far (and I haven't met the communists yet).

Two reasons we should read it: my friend recommended it, though she said it isn't as good as Poisonwood Bible, and Barbara Kingsolver wrote it. Her books are always good.

Helen's Book Blog said...

The concept of Hummingbirds is a bit creepy, but the book is interesting. Can't wait to hear what you think of it

Katy said...

That's an intriguing beginning!

Thanks for participating in Book Beginnings on Friday!