Monday, July 12, 2010

Adult Summer Reading Program

My library has an Adult Summer Reading program for the first time this year.  I joined, as did several of the librarians.  The goal is to read at least three books between May and August.  I joked with the librarians, who all know me, that the program may get me to start reading.  Ha!  I'm a member of Bookaholics Anonymous.  Yes, there's really an online blog by that name, and I joined a few years ago, though I've lost the URL because I don't really want to overcome my addiction to books.  Anyway, I think I'll turn in my Log Book tomorrow because I don't have room to add any more books.  Here are the "three books" I've listed:
1. Look Again ~ by Lisa Scottoline (F)
2. I Am Nujood: Age 10 and Divorced ~ by Nujood Ali (NF)
3. The Smoke Jumper ~ by Nicholas Evans (F)
4. Shanghai Girls ~ by Lisa See (F)
5. Every Last One ~ by Anna Quindlen (F)
6. The Road Taken ~ by Rona Jaffe (F)
7. Daughter of God ~ by Lewis Perdue (F)
8. Field Notes from a Catastrophe ~ by Elizabeth Kolbert (NF)
9. The Good Man Jesus & the Scoundrel Christ ~ by Philip Pullman (F)
10. Two Rivers ~ by T. Greenwood (F)
11. The Cougar Club ~ by Susan McBride (F)
12. The Gnostic Gospels ~ by Elaine Pagels (NF)
13. Summer's End ~ by Audrey Couloumbis (YA)

7 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

Impressive counting to "three"! :)

Our library's adult summer reading program requires four books and four "free choice activities" (which can be reading books, magazines, eBooks, or audio books; or submitting online reviews; or reading to a child). I've read four books so far, so I've got a bit more to do!

Beth said...

I'd never read anything by Lisa Scottoline before until I recently picked up a book of her collected columns at the library----Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog. Needless to say, I picked it up because of the title, but I've really enjoyed her little essays--very funny and easy for me to read right now, at a time when I'm having trouble concentrating on longer works.

Helen's Book Blog said...

Such good books! I loved Shanghai Girls and really want to read I am Nujood (to go along with my new Middle East Reading Challenge that I am running). What books were your favorites?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Our program says, "Book reviews are welcome, but not required." I'm going to the library when I get off-line, but last night I added another book (#13) to my "three" required for the program. I'll go back into my post and add this YA book that I read straight through in two or three hours:

13. Summer's End ~ by Audrey Couloumbis

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Beth, I can see why you'd enjoy short pieces from Scottoline's "Why My Third Husband Will Be a Dog" right now. It sounds interesting to me, too, so I may have to see if I can find it. If "Look Again" is any indication of her usual books, I'll have to read more by Scottoline.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Helen, here are my favorites (from this list, that is):

All three of the nonfiction books (reviews to come):
2. I Am Nujood: Age 10 and Divorced ~ by Nujood Ali (NF)
8. Field Notes from a Catastrophe ~ by Elizabeth Kolbert (NF)
12. The Gnostic Gospels ~ by Elaine Pagels (NF)

The YA book is the best I've read about the draft during the Vietnam War and how the boys felt about fleeing to Canada or dying without being able to vote on the issue (another review coming, probably):
13. Summer's End ~ by Audrey Couloumbis (YA)

The fiction I think I'll remember:
1. Look Again ~ by Lisa Scottoline (F)
5. Every Last One ~ by Anna Quindlen (F)

"The Cougar Club" is pure fluff, and I only finished it because I won it during Dewey's Read-a-Thon, paired with another book (which was worth winning). I even debated whether I wanted to include it on my list that the librarians would see! No review or a pitiful report, if any.

I mostly enjoyed "The Smoke Jumper" while reading it, but it's forgettable.

"Shanghai Girls" is pretty good, but I liked Lisa See's "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" more.

"Every Last One" is already slipping from memory, unlike Quindlen's "One True Thing," which is excellent.

I really liked "The Road Taken" by Jaffe, but I'd be hard pressed (already) to tell you much about the book.

Same with "Two Rivers," which I thought was great, but now couldn't tell you details (already!).

Pullman's "The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ" has a premise that is unforgettable -- that Jesus had a twin, nicknamed Christ, who wrote down the things Jesus said. But the story wasn't all that good.

Hmmm, this is like a bunch of mini-reviews. I may have to post this on the blog. Later, maybe.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Oops! "Daughter of God" by Lewis Perdue (F) was so forgettable that it didn't even make the list (my previous comment earlier today).