Thursday, January 3, 2008

Who's Harriet Klausner?

Have you ever heard of Harriet Klausner? I kept running into her reviews of books on Amazon and Barnes & Noble, until I reached a point of looking for her reviews of books I was researching. I haven't been misled by her opinions yet. So I decided to do a search and find out who this person is ... and found out a lot about her. Here's what she says about herself:
I was born in the Bronx where I obtained a Masters in Library Science. My thesis topic was the Impact of Science Fiction Reading by High School Seniors on Standardized Reading Scores. I met my spouse Stan when he read my palm in a Bronx outdoor cafe.

After being married for seven months, we moved to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania where I worked in the local bookstore and provided some limited book reviewing services. I had my only child born there. Later, we moved to Massachusetts where I worked in a small used bookstore that catered to fans of horror and science fiction. Ultimately we moved to Georgia where we currently live. I have worked with the library and found an acquisition job in a bookstore. I also watched my book reviewing career begin to take shape. I take immense pleasure informing other readers about newcomers or unknown authors who have written superb novels.
She has been written about in The Wall Street Journal and in Time magazine. She's even made it into Wikipedia.

Would you like to read some of her reviews? Here are links to the reviews, archived by author and title:

All Reviews By Author:
0 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

All Reviews By Title:
0 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z

Or maybe you'd rather read only the recent reviews:
Recent Reviews
It's even possible to do a search through all of her reviews:
Search Reviews

Alternative Worlds is the personal website of Harriet Klausner.

3 comments:

Susan Tidwell said...

Gee, Bonnie, this sounds a lot like you! The bookstore, book reviews... and she lives in Georgia, maybe you should go to meet her! Have a great day!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I'd love to meet Harriet Klausner! Yes, I'd drive to Atlanta to do that, if she would be willing. Maybe I should send her an email.

CJ said...

What an absolutely wonderful resource you've found! Thanks for sharing it. Her reviews are clear, concise, and to the point.

cjh