Thursday, March 29, 2018

My novel

I was wearing this tee-shirt when I got on the elevator the other day, and Tonya read the words out loud:  "Careful, or you'll end up in my novel."
I said, "Be very careful."
Tonya smiled sweetly and said, "I would be honored to be in your novel."
Katie said she wanted to be the villain.  Okay, yes, the bad guys are usually interesting folks.
Later, I told Melvin he couldn't be the villain because Katie had already picked that.  He promptly said, "I want to be the lover."
Not only is my shirt not frightening anyone into being nice, they are even volunteering for parts.
Now I need to come up with a plot.  Any suggestions?

2 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

I love those conversations that the shirt got going! I am so not a good plot-creator so you're on your own for this one, but at least you've got some of the characters ready!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Having characters would be much more helpful if I were actually writing a novel, which I'm not. My friend Donna, however, reminded me that we once "wrote" a story (too short to be a novel) and could do it again. In 1998, we were on a trip to visit online book buddies and, as we drove for hours, we dreamed up a story with our group of book friends in it. We came up with names that somehow related to the actual people. Donna, an English teacher turned librarian, became BookLady, a character who read the trashiest romance novels. My character was Rev. Geneva, who appeared to be a goody-two-shoes. Here, read what I posted on this blog in 2007:

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2007/08/happenstance-case-of-axe-murderer.html

Donna and I now live at the same senior housing complex and know the staff and residents who ride the elevators (like Tonya, Katie, and Melvin), so I guess it's theoretically possible we could write a book ... though I can't imagine what plot could possibly include those Tonya and Katie and Melvin.