Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Miss Rumphius ~ again

Miss Rumphius ~ by Barbara Cooney, 1982, children's, 10/10

Jan @ Yearning for God has made my day!  Miss Rumphius became my very favorite children's book long after my children were grown and married and having children of their own.  I've been writing about Miss Rumphius on my blog since 2007, the year I started blogging.  Here are a couple of my older posts:
Favorite children's book
Books that will always stick with me
I hope you enjoy this video that Jan found.  The narrator reads the entire picture book, scrolling Barbara Cooney's paintings in a beautiful tribute to that author/illustrator.  Thank you, Jan!


Did you listen carefully?  What was the third thing little Alice must do?  Did you notice the narrator is also "little Alice"?  And both of them have hair the same color. Oh, I love this book!

Read more about Barbara Cooney on Wikipedia and on a blog.  She had favorites:  "Of all the books I have done, Miss Rumphius, Island Boy, and Hattie and the Wild Waves, are the closest to my heart. These three are as near as I ever will come to an autobiography."

Did you notice I rated it 10/10?

2 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, Bonnie, I read with joy your comments on the Miss Rumphius post! This is so wonderful! I really think everyone in the world should read this book so they'll try to make the world more beautiful!! You help to do that for us, especially me.

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Thank you, Jan. Miss Rumphius keeps making the world a more beautiful place. Although Barbara Cooney died in 2000, when I listed a dozen authors I would like to invite to my Thanksgiving table this past November, she was among them (ten living authors, two who have died, the other being Madeleine L'Engle):

http://bonniesbooks.blogspot.com/2011/11/at-my-thanksgiving-table.html