Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Favorite children's book?



My favorite children's book is Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney. First of all I love the illustrations, but the story line is so good. When Miss Rumphius was a little girl, she told her grandfather that, when she grows up, she will go to faraway places and come home to live by the sea. "That is all very well, " he told her, "but there is a third thing you must do. You must do something to make the world more beautiful." Do you know what Miss Rumphius did? I'll give you a hint: the children call her the Lupine Lady. (Click on the picture to enlarge it.) Rated 10 of 10. Do you have a favorite?

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think my favorite Children's book is one that my son brought home when he was in about 2nd grade. I loved it so much, I went out and bought it. It's called The Quiltmaker's Gift and is by Jeff Brumbeau. The illustrations are beautiful, but the story is more so. I read it to my girls now.

Quotidian Life said...

Thanks for this recommendation, Bonnie. I will check it out. Children's picture books are my weakness and my youngest is now 11. How I loved the picture book years! But there is always the grandchildren!

Booklogged said...

My favorite is one that I read almost every night to my 3 girls was "What Was That?" I would switch 'little brother bear' with 'little sister Alyson' and so on for each of the 3 bears. My girls loved it.

I don't remember one from my childhood. I know my mother read to us, but I have very few memories of my childhood. It's the pits!

Bonnie Jacobs said...

Miss Rumphius was published in 1982 when I was 42, though I didn't discover it until later. So it isn't a book I grew up with, and it isn't even one I read to my children, who were adults when I first read it.

My favorite from childhood is Epaminondas, which is out of print and probably considered racist. Hmmm, I may have to do a post on Epaminondas.