Wednesday, December 22, 2010

A teaser ~ from the Irish countryside

From the first page of In the Company of Others by Jan Karon, 2010.
The beams of their hired car scarcely penetrated a summer twilight grown dark as pitch in the downpour.
This isn't exactly the most exciting book beginning I could imagine.  However, "hired car" means they are not at home, and we know it's raining, wherever they are.  I have read more than a third of the book so far, and it doesn't seem to get any more exciting than this.  My daughter Sandra chose this book as a Christmas gift because she remembers that I enjoyed Jan Karon's Mitford series back in the 1990s.  In this story, Father Tim and his wife Cynthia hop the Atlantic for a long anticipated vacation in the Irish countryside. They settle in at Broughadoon, a bed and breakfast run by Liam and Anna Conor in County Sligo.  Here's another quote from the book, this one about Ben Bulben (p. 200):
After his walk to the lake with Liam ... he and Cynthia had taken off for Ben Bulben, where the Vauxhall climbed a rude track along the flank.  They slowed for sheep in the road, searched the views. ... [Later, Cynthia, an artist] stood at the chest of drawers, leafing aimlessly through the work of the day.  He looked over her shoulder.

'That's a good one,' he said.  'The great Ben as the prow of a ship steering through a green sea.'  He thought she might enjoy the imagery.
Ben Bulben in County Sligo, Ireland

3 comments:

Helen's Book Blog said...

How funny to see this teaser right after my "Irish adventure". I hope you enjoy the book

Bonnie Jacobs said...

I didn't think about your "Irish adventure" when I posted this. How funny! Before writing this comment, I checked your blog to find out where you were and what had finally happened. I'm glad you are safely home and had good things to say about the Irish. When will you get to Oman?

Beth said...

I can't stop looking at that last picture, Bonnie. The light is so lovely. When I've dreamed of Ireland, that's what my dreams look like.

If I don't talk to you again before Christmas, have a joyful and blessed Christmas, Bonnie!