Friday, July 13, 2007

The Memory Keeper's Daughter ~ by Kim Edwards

Title, author, and date of book, genre?
The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards, 2005, fiction

What made you want to read it? Did it live up to your expectations?
Because several people had recommended it, I put it on the lists for two of my challenges: Something About Me and Saturday Review of Books. Yes, it was as good as I had expected.

Summarize the book without giving away the ending.
On a winter night in 1964, Dr. David Henry is forced by a blizzard to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy; his daughter has Down's Syndrome. Rationalizing it as a need to protect Norah, his wife, he makes a split-second decision that will alter all of their lives forever. He asks his nurse to take the infant to an institution and never to reveal the secret, then tells his wife their daughter was stillborn. Caroline, the nurse, cannot leave the baby at the institution and disappears into another city to raise the child herself. What happens when secrets are revealed?

What did you think of the main characters?
This book has three main characters. I cannot imagine lying to a spouse as David did. I do understand Norah's being more upset by her child's death than her husband had expected and Caroline's desire to raise the baby rather than consign her to a life in an institution.

Which character could you relate to best, and why?
Caroline, who raised the little girl and fought for her right to an education, even if she did have Down's.

Were there any other especially interesting characters?
I liked Albert (Al) Simpson, who helped Caroline when her car battery died during that night's blizzard, and Dorothy (Doro) March, who later became Caroline's friend. The twins were also interesting: Paul, who was smart and handsome, and Phoebe, who thrived in a loving household.

Did you think the characters and their problems were believable?
Most of the time, yes, but Dr. Henry's problems were self-inflicted and could have been solved if he had had the gumption to tell the truth. Of course, we wouldn't have had a story then, would we?

Share a quote from the book:
"He had tried to protect his son from the things he himself had suffered as a child: poverty and worry and grief. Yet his very efforts had created losses David had never anticipated" (p. 258).

Share a favorite scene from the book:
Paul, the son, sees himself as a "caretaker of the past" (p. 378). "His to choose, what to keep and what to discard. ... his deep sense of responsibility, how what he kept from this house of his childhood would become, in turn, what he passed down to his own children someday -- all they would ever know, in a tangible way, of what had shaped him" (p. 378).

What about the ending?
I could think of better ways for it to end, or at least as I would have wanted it to end. But the story works with the ending the author gave it.

What do you think will be your lasting impression of this book?
How secrets can tear a family apart or harm them in unexpected ways. Not everyone in my own family agrees with me, but I do believe in telling the truth and getting secrets out in the open so they don't poison relationships.

How would you rate the book?
Rated 9/10, excellent!

5 comments:

Ana S. said...

I definitely agree that keeping secrets can poison a relationship.

This sounds like something I need to read. Thanks for the review.

Framed said...

I've added and deleted this book from my TBR list countless times. I just can't make up a my mind to read it. It sounds a little depressing. Is it?

Bonnie Jacobs said...

No, I wouldn't call it depressing. I was mostly angry at the doctor-husband for not saying something. It was depressing for his wife, but that isn't the same as depressing the reader. I kept reading, wanting to know what would happen, whether the wife would ever learn what really happened to her daughter. I do recommend this book as a very good one, which would give book clubs a lot to talk about.

Carrie said...

I keep hearing mixed reviews about this book. "Read it!" "Don't read it!" "I loved it!" "I'm sorry I ever laid eyes on it!"

GAAA!

What to do!?!?

Zorro said...

I am glad that I read it and saw the Lifetime movie on TV. Discussed it with the group at RGG. Paul infuriated me all through the book.