Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Today, I'm thinking about the generations

Generations
: The Real Differences Between Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, Boomers, and Silents―and What They Mean for America's Future ~ by Jean M. Twenge, 2023, anthropology, 560 pages

A groundbreaking look at the five generations that make up today’s population, from the bestselling author of Generation Me and iGen. Dr. Jean Twenge has analyzed millions of data points to glean the attitudes, characteristics, and life circumstances that define each generation, resulting in a fascinating look at how they connect, conflict, and compete with each other.

Upending the conventional theory that generational differences are caused by major events, Dr. Jean Twenge analyzes data on 39 million people from robust national surveys — some going back nearly a century — to show that changes in technology are the underlying driver of each generation’s unique makeup.  In this revelatory work, Twenge outlines key shifts in attitudes and lifestyle choices that define each generation regarding gender, income, politics, race, sexuality, marriage, mental health, and more.

Generations “gets you thinking about how appreciating generational differences can, ironically, bring us together,” said Angela Duckworth, a New York Times bestselling author.  It may also change the way you view your parents, peers, coworkers, children, and grandchildren.

Defining generations (from what I could find online): 
Greatest Generation were born 1901–1927.
Silent Generation were born 1928–1945.
Baby Boomers were born 1946–1964.
Generation X were born 1965–1980.
Generation Y were born 1981–1996.
Generation Z were born 1997–2010.
Generation Alpha were born 2010-2024.
Yesterday, a friend sat down beside me in the Crown Center library to tell me about this book, saying I should read it.  When I got home, I looked it up online and promptly put it on reserve at my library.  I am part of the Silent Generation, though I'm not so silent, am I?  All three of my children are Boomers.  Which generation are you?

No comments: